Community Forum

Xfinity Hotspot Connection Issues (Windows, Linux, Multiple Hotspots)

New Poster

Xfinity Hotspot Connection Issues (Windows, Linux, Multiple Hotspots)

I have been pretty much unable to connect to the Xfinity Hotspot with my Xfinity Internet Credentials on all devices except my cellular phone. I might get a total of an hour total per day of connection time while out and about or visiting friends (when I usually use my laptops). When I'm home, I can connect fine to the regular account on any computer, but out and about or over someone's house, I have nothing on any laptop I own. It does not matter what BSSID I connect to, but if the SSID is Xfinity owned - forget it. Device Operating Systems are as follows: 2 x Linux (Debian, Mint); 2 x Windows (10 Pro, 10 Home). I have reset adapters, redone the drivers, done dozens of command line interface inputs, all to no avail - I was an IT Major. I have done factory resets on the computers. It's almost as though Xfinity has blocked any non-cellular phone devices on the account. I have gone in and cleared the devices listed on the account and still nothing. I re-enter the credentials and have absolutely no connection within 5 minutes to an hour. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? It's been going on for about 2.5 weeks and has happened intermittently in the past but cmd commands have usually fixed the issue whereas now, it's not. The issues seem worst on anything Windows but Linux Operating Systems are not excluded from the problems.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity Hotspot Connection Issues (Windows, Linux, Multiple Hotspots)

Also, to clarify - No issues connecting to my cell phone's hotspot when out and about either so it's definitely something with Xfinity.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity Hotspot Connection Issues (Windows, Linux, Multiple Hotspots)

So, I've managed to figure out that anything that does not regularly connect to my home network is effectively blocked by Xfinity on the hotspots via their MAC Addresses. If It's rarely used or regularly connects to my home network, there's no issues on the same hotspots that the other devices are having problems connecting to. I've confirmed this via BSSID Connections and lesser used devices while out and about.

 

Very sad, especially since they [Xfinity] have been denying this long term if you look at the different websites and forum threads that list people having this very same problem, usually when away from home for extended periods of time. Like said, I have successfully confirmed this via my own troubleshooting techniques using cellular hotspots, SSIDs, Multiple BSSIDs, Multiple Locations, Multiple Devices, Multiple Operating Systems, Clearing Out Device Lists on the account, etc. It all confirms that they are blocking devices via their MAC Addresses if they are not really used on the home network. It's disgusting that they are doing it and lying about it.