Community Forum

Xfinity Gigabit Modem

New Poster

Xfinity Gigabit Modem

Hey, so I just got off the phone with an Xfinity customer service representative that told me that if I wish to upgrade to Gigabit internet I would need to use their provided router meaning that they would tack on an extra $13/month to my plan. What gives?

1) Xfinity My Devices shows that there are 6 modems that are supported with 1000Mbps speeds, but when I asked about this, they said that none of them are supported. Why so?

2) Does anyone have any vague idea when Xfinity will support Bring Your Own Device with Gigabit? 

Thanks in advance

New Poster

Re: Xfinity Gigabit Modem

*Edit: When I said router I meant modem. Sorry about that.

Frequent Visitor

I have an Arris SB8200 from Best Buy.  

DOCSIS 3.1 Devices (required for gigabit speeds)

Motorola MB8600 32x8 modem (DOCSIS 3.1)

Arris SB8200 32x8 modem (DOCSIS 3.1)

Netgear CM1000 32x8 modem (DOCSIS 3.1)

Netgear CM1000-100NAS 32x8 modem (DOCSIS 3.1) 

Netgear CM1100 32x8 modem (DOCSIS 3.1)

Netgear C7800 32x8 gateway (DOCSIS 3.1)

Netgear CM1150V 32x8 telephony (DOCSIS 3.1)

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Approved-Xfinity-Modems-and-Gateways/td-p/3109887

New Poster

Yeah, I checked those links before calling, I was even about to get a Netgear Nighthawk CM1100 but since the rep said that those modems don't work with the plan I backed out on Gigabit during that call.

Are you saying that you have the gigabit plan with that modem and it's working? Does anyone know if maybe Xfinity has different standards for different service areas? It doesn't make much sense, but I don't understand why the rep would tell me the modems just won't work.

Expert

Whoever you talked to was wrong... .

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Yeah, that’s what I thought. What they were telling me didn’t make much sense, but who am I to counter a Comcast rep.
What should I ask them when I call back? I probably won’t do it until the end of this month’s cycle but I want to now prepare.
Frequent Visitor

Service Drops. Modem exchanged.

I wrote earlier with no response. I had multiple service drops with T3 and T4 errors. New line run from street to house to modem. Arris SB8200 returned for warranty repair. New unit is still dropping but slightly less. One Upstream signal is lower than Arris specifications. 

Looking for insight into drops.

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 7.11.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-09 at 7.11.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-09 at 7.13.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-09 at 7.17.46 PM.png

Contributor

Re: Service Drops. Modem exchanged.

Getting the same thing with my SB8200.  Where do you get Arris' specs?

Can't see your pictures. 

Frequent Visitor

I initially could not see the pictures, I reloaded and they look ok.. I will try again.. 

Here is the Arris link.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB8200-Cable-Signal-Levels

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 7.11.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-09 at 7.11.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-09 at 7.13.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-09 at 7.17.46 PM.png

Silver Problem Solver

@tluepker wrote:

I initially could not see the pictures, I reloaded and they look ok.. I will try again.. 

Here is the Arris link.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB8200-Cable-Signal-Levels

Are you logged into this forum with your forum userid and password?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Got the link, but still can't see your pictures.  I think it was the same thing when I first started posting.  Only I could see my pictures for the first couple posts for some reason.

Expert

FWIW, forget about using the Arris specs in that link. They are manufacturer specs. The only specs that matter are the actual Comcast cable plant / system specs. Here they are from the troubleshooting tips sticky topic at the top of this board;

Downstream Power Levels: -8dBmV to  +10dBmV

Downstream Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR):  >35dB 

Upstream Power Level:  +25dBmV to +54dBmV

Upstream Signal to Noise Ratio (uSNR): >31dB  

Upstream Receive Power: -2dBmV to +2dBmV

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

FWIW, Arris will not honor a warranty repair or assist with troubleshooting the issue if you don't meet their required specs.
Xfinity: It's a modem issue.
Arris: It's an Xfinity issue.

If you aren't a tech, what are your qualifications to say Arris's guidance is incorrect?
Expert

Sorry. I stand by what I stated.

Frequent Visitor

Looking at your post, most of my downstream signals are within spec. Modem just replaced by Arris with a new SB8200. Still getting daily drops. 

Frequent Visitor

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 7.17.46 PM.png

Frequent Visitor

Any splitters in your line?
Frequent Visitor

Line from street to house. Splitter/connector to inside. There is one splitter inside, I believe it was formerly an signal amplifier. I will double check tonight. I have no TV service so I should be able to go straight from outside connector to modem.

Frequent Visitor

Scheduling another service call now. Xfinity cannot see my new modem.

Frequent Visitor

If you just have internet there is no reason to have anything in between. Try to get straight from the modem to outside.
Better yet, is there a chance to just temporarily get the modem to the point of entry? Just for testing. This way you could rule out your house wiring, or not, depending if the modem would work better or not.
Frequent Visitor

Xfinity could not see the modem then was able to reprovision/refresh. Rep also scheduled a visit. I then get an automated call, I assume to tell me that second level engineering has fixed my issue and they want to cancel service call (Based on previous experiance). Since this morning, two more T3 errors.  Refresh was at 9:56 this morning.. Any thoughts on why no timing on other events?

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 5.27.36 PM.png

Expert

A modem will default to using that 1970 date / timestamp when for whatever the reason may be, it doesn't have an internet connection to the TOD (Time Of Day) server.