Community Forum

Xfinity 1g speed - Netgear CM1000 - Asus RT AC3100

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity 1g speed - Netgear CM1000 - Asus RT AC3100

Hello everyone, 

I recently upgraded my service to 1g speed then purchased a netgear CM1000 and Asus RT AC3100 to replace the Xfi modem/router. 

All in all, connectivity and stability are good, however, the internet speed is dropping from 936 to rough 65 to 85 on wired connections with a laptop and xbox one. I've rebooted both router and modem but it doesn't hold the speed. 

I'm not a pro at networking by any means but can troubleshoot simple issues. As of now, I think I'm missing proper settings within the router or possibly an Xfinity issue. 

Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

Expert

Re: Xfinity 1g speed - Netgear CM1000 - Asus RT AC3100

For a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the CM1000 modem have the same problem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Hi EG,

I called xfinity support, the rep said she can not help as much as I own my equipment. However, she did reset the signal and confirmed that the MAC address and serial number of the CM1000 are collected on their end.

After she sent the signal, I rebooted both modem and router but speeds have not improved. There is a scheduled maintenance in the area but not sure about the affects of that maintenance. 

Here's the cable connection I'm seeing from Netgear. Seems like a lot of noise?netgear connection.png

Expert

So did you do the test that I suggested ??

Can't see your pic. Since you are a new poster, it likely needs to be approved by a Forum Admin.

You could try hosting it at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to it here.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

EG,

I did your test as well, it did not work. The problems are resolved now. 

The CS rep resent the signal multiple times last night and it shows normal on their end. So they sent a tech this morning to test signals, cable connections all of which are working normally. He then tested with their modem and an motorola modem and those connected just fine. We then concluded that the CM1000 was lemon. 

FYI, that was 2 CM1000 that didn't work. I returned/exchanged for an Arris SB8200, tech was nice enough to give me his info and he came back to install and verifed that connections are working properly. 

Hopefully, third time is charm. I am now getting 940 down and 42 up. downstream 31 channels Noise levels are at 40.0, both corrected/uncorrected are at 0's and upstream 4 channels at 44.0

4 hours running so far, fingers crossed that the connections stays. 

I did notice that the DNS Server for IPv6 are blank. Typically its 2001:xxx::1/2 but with the Arris it's staying blank, any thoughts? I have tested Ipv6, it does connect scoring at 9/10 "Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 Internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites."

Lastly, are Arris SB8200 good modems? I was able to price match Amazon with Bestbuy for $138, which was $50 less than the Netgear CM1000.

Thanks for your help EG!

Highlighted
Expert

@rainierb wrote:

Lastly, are Arris SB8200 good modems? I was able to price match Amazon with Bestbuy for $138, which was $50 less than the Netgear CM1000.

Having owned the Arris SB8200 ,  I can say it's performed very well for me for the year I've used it.