Community Forum

Xfi Advanced Gateway intermittently drops Wifi

Regular Visitor

Xfi Advanced Gateway intermittently drops Wifi

I think we need to replace our 2 month old Technicolor CGM4140COM Xfi advanced gateway. 

We see an intermittent WiFi signal drop across three separate, different brand, WiFi connected Windows 10 laptop computers.  The drop is simultaneous (if two laptops are connected), momentary, lasting about 10 seconds.  These occur intermittently, sometimes every few minutes, sometimes every few hours.  When the Gateway WiFi is up, it works well.  Our Comcast X3 TV systems always work normally.  We have two computers connected to the Gateway via RJ-45 wired and they always function normally.

We have run every Comcast Xfi diagnostic test.  We have rebooted and power cycled the Gateway multiple times.  We have checked and tightened the various physical cable connections.  We have tried manually assigning IP addresses (thinking DHCP might be the problem) with the same result.  We have split the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands into separate SSID channels {thinking we had cross band interference) with the same result.  We have tried various manually assigned WiFi channels and full automatic assigned channels with the same result.

What should we do next?

Contributor

Re: Xfi Advanced Gateway intermittently drops Wifi

I had same issues with JUST wifi and it was Google Home Chromecast app sending enormous packets.  You can search online for Google shutting down wifi or search " google overloading wifi " .

I also had a sony 4k tv that was on same wifi channel as my cell phone (chromecast's google home app is the culprit) and that's when it would happen.  

One of your devices, or all of them, are sending enormous packet dumps and overloading your wifi likely.

Expert

Some tips for improving WiFi performance.:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Tips-for-Better-WiFi-Network-Performance/td-p/262765...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thanks Neverending,,,

I guess its possible.  It never occurred to me that when I switch the Samsung Smart TV over from our normal Xfinity Comcast TV cable box connection to Amazon Prime (for example), the signal feed then switches to the Gateway 5Ghz Wifi band.  HD TV via the Gateway mustt be a pretty heavy load and I guess it could trip up the Gateway??  When not watching TV we run Spotify through the Samsung TV all day long too.  That would also be on the WiFi 5Ghz signaI.  I will see if I can pull some kind of stress test that will show a correlation to normal WiFi signal drops.  Thanks for the idea.

Regular Visitor

Hi Angelic:

Thanks for the tip list but I have been through that list several times and implemented or confirmed most of the items to no avail.  I will try to isolate the 5ghz TV feed to see if that's the culprit.

Regular Visitor

So none of the solutions proposed here worked.  Here's what did work although I don't know why.

The problem of intermittent drop of wifi signal seemed to happen on my device's default 5 Ghz band connection.  So at the Gateway I split the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands ito two seperate SSIDs with seperate login credentials and then forced my Windows 10 (build 1809) Surface Go to connect to ONLY the 2.4 Ghz band.  It worked.   We now have had six days of uninterrupted WiFi connectivity.   Just as a test, I reversed he process and forced the Surface to connect only to the 5 Ghz band.  The intermittent drops returned.

So 2.4 Ghz is just fine for us if it solved the intermittent drops.  If the root cause was some kind of massive interference on the 5Ghz band or what, I don't really know.

Expert

Actually the 2.4 GHz band typically has much more interference / crowding / congestion than the 5.8 GHz does, but it has more reach / range / penetrating power.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!