Community Forum

XFinity compatible modem with voice: Netgear CM1150V

New Poster

XFinity compatible modem with voice: Netgear CM1150V

I'm getting the runaround here, xFinlity website lists the Netgear CM1150V (the only gig-speed modem with voice support) as a retail product from netgear. Phone and Chat with Xfinity says this is a retail model and to by from Netgear/Resleller ...  Phone and Chat with Netgear says this is a model made for xFinity only and I have to get it through xFinity!!!

Anyone know whaty's up with this modem? ... How to get my hands on one, rent or buy?

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/netgear-cm1150v-701

Expert

Re: XFinity compatible modem with voice: Netgear CM1150V

@TedinCal wrote:

I'm getting the runaround here, xFinlity website lists the Netgear CM1150V (the only gig-speed modem with voice support) as a retail product from netgear. Phone and Chat with Xfinity says this is a retail model and to by from Netgear/Resleller ...  Phone and Chat with Netgear says this is a model made for xFinity only and I have to get it through xFinity!!!

Anyone know whaty's up with this modem? ... How to get my hands on one, rent or buy?

The Netgear CSR is unfortunately incorrect on a few points here.

• Any modem that appears on the mydeviceinfo page indicates that it's approved for use on the Comcast network, but doesn't guarantee their availability.
  • There a a few retail devices specifically made for Comcast only - the ARRIS SVG2482AC comes to mind immediately, but they're sold over the retail channel, not directly through Comcast.  Comcast doesn't sell retail modems or gateways to the public.
  • Since the CM1150V is a retail modem and not a Comcast leased one, you'd have to ask Netgear as to when that device will be available for sale to the public. 

My feeling is there will probably be a formal annnouncement during next week's CES in Las Vegas. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Comcast has been listing the CM1150V since at least the summer of 2018, and I also have been searching high and low for it.  I found a Unicorn and the Ark of the Covenant but no modem. I had one Amazon seller list one very explicitly only to end up with a CM1000 in my hands that I had to return. A couple of the pro IT shops are starting to list it, but no one actually has it in stock. I've talked to some inside sales people at Netgear, and they can't find any evidence the model exists. Netgear customer support says the model is for Comcast only and to talk to them, which of course is nonsense. Comcast of course says they have no idea how to get the modem (and I've talked to someone all the way up in corporate).

So no -- the CM1150V is strictly a myth still as far as I can tell. If anyone finds a DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA retail modem, I'd love to know.

Frequent Visitor

News flash -- it just became available for presale on Amazon for $229, shipping on or around Jan 28, 2019. Still not on Netgear's site though.

Expert

@bldnightowl wrote:

News flash -- it just became available for presale on Amazon for $229, shipping on or around Jan 28, 2019. Still not on Netgear's site though.

Link?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Plugin CM1150V into Amazon's search tool.  :-P

Amazon CM1150V Listing

Expert

@bldnightowl wrote:

Plugin CM1150V into Amazon's search tool.  :-P

Amazon CM1150V Listing

I did. It didn't show up. That's why I asked. 

New Poster

Silver Problem Solver

Now we need to know when it can be provisioned, or is that a given?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

A config / boot file will need to be coded for it if they haven't yet written one.

Expert

@Jayh0va wrote:

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/CM1150V.aspx

Its real!

Of course it's real.....I've been beta testing it since December. Now that it's been announced, and the NDA no longer applies, I can openly talk about it.  

Let me just say, I've been waiting for a DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA since I got gigabit in August of 2017, and lemme tell ya, this device is nice. 

Also, yes, there's a config/boot file for this modem, already, but I'm pretty sure the release version will have been substantially debugged, plus with updated features, such as Link Aggregation for two or more of the LAN ports. That feature will need to be enabled by Comcast first, of course. 

IMG_2525.PNG

Silver Problem Solver

My Plan says the CM1150V is compatible, but I think there is a mistake in the specs; it says it doesn't support wifi:

Since it is listed as being compatible, that tells me I should be able to get it provisioned just like any other retail device.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

It’s only a cable modem, not a combined WiFi router. You will need your own, separate WiFi router.

Netgear and other vendors I’m sure will eventually come out with a DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA modem that is also a WiFi router, but a retail one doesn’t exist yet.
Silver Problem Solver

@bldnightowl wrote:
It’s only a cable modem, not a combined WiFi router. You will need your own, separate WiFi router.

Netgear and other vendors I’m sure will eventually come out with a DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA modem that is also a WiFi router, but a retail one doesn’t exist yet.

So maybe I can use my Orbi for my ethernet and wifi?

Seems pretty expensive for a cable modem only.

I would really like to retire from my home network job. Smiley Happy

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@bldnightowl wrote:

The CM1150v retails for $250, so yea, it's expensive.

Typically people use their Orbi units as their primary routers, not in Bridge Mode or as Wireless APs. The only issue I can see with your setup is that you will have to get a Home Security sidecar router installed to compensate for the swap of the XB6. 

Silver Problem Solver

@darkangelic wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@bldnightowl wrote:

The CM1150v retails for $250, so yea, it's expensive.

Typically people use their Orbi units as their primary routers, not in Bridge Mode or as Wireless APs. The only issue I can see with your setup is that you will have to get a Home Security sidecar router installed to compensate for the swap of the XB6. 

Oh, fiddle!  I forgot about XHome.  Thanks for reminding me.  One more box in my computer room.

I don't see any issue with putting the Orbi in the default, since I wouldn't have any need for it to be in AP mode. 

And I guess I would have to schedule a tech visit and do the replacement of the XB6 and the XHome sidecar installation on the same day.

I like the idea of the additional ethernet ports when the firmware is released.  It isn't an issue now because I am using an 8-port gigabit switch onnected to a port on the Orbi.  I have ethernet running to the den and the farthest bedroom because early wifi couldn't reach those rooms.

New Poster

Bought mine at BestBuy yesterday for $240, took ~ 15 mins to set up with a Gbps router and phone seems to work fine.
Frequent Visitor

Interesting that BestBuy got it before Amazon (which still says pre-order available Jan 28 for $229).

New Poster

Re: Approved Xfinity Modems and Gateways

Is this device Netgear CM1150V | Model number: CM1150V ok for cimcast gigabit plan with 2 voice line

Expert

Re: Approved Xfinity Modems and Gateways

Yes.

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/search