Community Forum

XFINITYWIFI HOTSPOT: Self-Assigned IP Address (No Internet Connection)

New Poster

XFINITYWIFI HOTSPOT: Self-Assigned IP Address (No Internet Connection)

Ok so for the past week i have been able to get on the XFINITYWIFI hotspot but i woke up this morning and i can no longer connect to it. First off it is not my hotspot its a local free one so I can not reset the router.

But heres my problem when i click to connect it shows "Status : ON - Wifi has self-assigned IP address 169.254.178.** and will not be able to connect to the internet." Im on a iMac. When i try to connect to another hotspot down the street everything works fine so I dont get it. I tried everything to fix can anybody shed some light to why this is not working? 

New Poster

Re: XFINITYWIFI HOTSPOT: Self-Assigned IP Address (No Internet Connection)

Any one know whats going on?

New Poster

I've got the same problem. I can sign connect to one hot spot. However, there is not internet gateway!

I tried to delete one xifinitywifi and I've tried a weaker hot spot in the same area (different bssid). It connects showing a default gateway; but it automatically switches back to the stronger wifi signal that does not have any internet gateway....very frustrating to say the least.

I don't know what happens if this wifi has already the maximum five clients.  So for a month I connect but no internet....sucks!

New Poster

Has anyone found a solution for this? I have the same problem. Comcast support??
Regular Visitor

I too am having the same problem. About two weeks ago the hotspot I use several times a week while away for my job stopped working. I can connect but have no internet access and it shows the auto ip. This hotspot is my only source of internet/tv/anything  when I travel for work and would really like this issue to be resolved

New Poster

My husband and I are also having the same poblem with all of our devices when traveling and trying to connect to the XFINITYWIFI hotspot.
Is there a remote reset that can be done since the end user doesnt have physical access to anything to manually reset?

Interesting no Comcast representatives have responded to this forum question in several months being up and several different people having this problem.
Regular Visitor

CynnieH wrote:

Interesting no Comcast representatives have responded to this forum question in several months being up and several different people having this problem.

I thought the same thing...Tuesday, 9/16,  I did a live chat with comcast about the hotspot not working. I was able to give them the address of the hotspot and they confirmed remotely that their were issues. They said someone would come out and check in on the hotspot. They issued me a ticket number and said they would call when the issue had been resolved....Ill keep everyone updated.

Regular Visitor

Comcast left me a voicemail around 130pm saying to check amd see if my issue was resolved. They informed me the ticket will be open for 24 hours unless they hear from me. The message never stated that the problem was fixed. ..I will check tomorrow afternoon.
Regular Visitor

So I checked yesterday, 9/19 after recieving the message and the hotspot still isnt working. I did another live chat and explained the issue and gave them my current ticket number. The rep ran through some basic trouble shooting things with me, none of them working. The rep said this would be high priority and somone would be remotely fixing the issue, the rep also staed they they would personally be checking in on the issue and that I would recieve another phone call when the issue was resolved..No phone call yet. I happend to be intown near the hotspot today and tried to connect with no avail. I will test it again monday.

Problem Solver

I don't normally post in this section of the forum, however I just wanted to pass on some things to you.

As you may know Comcast hot spots are coming from Comcast customers who have a Comcast gateway just like you.

Although Comcast may turn on all modems in a market to broadcast wifi for you to use, customers can opt out at any point.

I think that when customers are opting out of the program the app has not had a chance to update the list.

This would be more apparent on the residential customers sending out free wifi than it would be for businesses.

I hope this may shed some light on what you are seeing.

Pizzaman out!

Regular Visitor

The company hosting the wifi hotspot opted out of it, comcast has not come around and deactivated the broadcast signal.  That was the issue.

However, since this defunct hotspot is still broadcasting a signal, and it is the strongest xfinitywifi signal to me, I am unable to connect to the weaker ones around me that acually work.