Community Forum

XB7 worth to upgrade?

santosmarco07
New Poster

XB7 worth to upgrade?

I have been using a XB6 almost 2 years (since April 2019) with absolutely zero issues, I have 1GB plan and Xfinity delivers 940 Mbs (ethernet) very consistent and my Wifi is around 500/600 Mbs using directly the Xfinity Router.
I just received the XB7 looking for WIFI 6 and maybe go over 1Gbs due to XB6 caps at 940Mbs.
Before moving to XB7 I did some research and I got completely scared with so many posts related to WIFI issues, speed downgrade and constant internet drops.
Simple question: Should I install the XB7? or just return XB7 to Xfinity! 😞
Please help me! I have a very stable network (Xfinity XB6 + Airport Extreme 6th Gen + Netgear AX8 Wifi extender).
Thank you!
PS: If I try to install and things goes wrong, can I just put back the old router as roll back plan?
jlavaseur
Valued Contributor

Re: XB7 worth to upgrade?

Ok here is my internet experience with both gateways, the Xb6 was flawless for me, very stable, never disconnected, on my particular gateway I was able to change some of the admin options on the gateway, I was able to dial it in for my  devices and environment, the Xb7 same very stable, flawless operation, if you want to take advantage of the WiFi 6 it's worth the upgrade, ok the upgrade, if you the Xfi app to upgrade it has a option to transfer all your settings over from the Xb6, since I had already dialed my Xb6 in, I choose this option, flawless install,  everything connected as expected, that being said, in the admin panel the options were grayed out removing the option to change them, so I had to exchange my Xb7, this time I went to the Xfinity store to exchange it, so I told them there, I wanted it activated here at the store, no problem, I plug it at home, it booted up and I was online, it didn't transfer my options over, but I had access to the options in the admin panel,, they weren't grayed out, so I just manually configured the same as my old gateway, I just got a new iPhone 12 max pro, it has WiFi 6, I am getting almost 800 Mbps, very impressed, for me they both work excellent, but that's just my experience 

santosmarco07
New Poster

Re: XB7 worth to upgrade?

Thank you! at the end, I decided to return it and wait more time and do not run uneeded risks