Community Forum

XB6

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

XB6

I've been using a comcast supplied XB6 for a while. I'm not happy with the wifi coverage in the house. Our Bedroom is really poorly covered. I put it into Bridge mode and I've had a varying degree of problems with routers. The netgear and Linksys caused weird netork behavior. When I was playing on my PC the Sons Xbox would freak out. If I wasn't on my PC the xbox was fine. My games on the PC also felt laggy. I then tried a Tp-link AX1500 and it wont even see the internet. I was asked to hook a PC up to the gateway while it was in Bridge mode and I had no internet. The support people at tp-link seemed to think the gateway is having problems. I disabled Bridge mode and I have interent but not the coverage I Want. 

Do I have a problem with my gateway or should I just expect to use my own equipment with it? I debated getting xfi pods but I'd also really like to start using my own dns again. I liked being able to use Opendns family shield at the router level. Maybe its false sense of safety but it seemed to block the adult content and items I'd prefer my kids didn't come across. Its not clear to me if this same level of blocking can be done in the XFI tools or Gateway.  

Interested to hear others thoughts on this. 

Rebeljt74

Highlighted
Expert

Re: XB6

@Rebeljt74 wrote:

I then tried a Tp-link AX1500 and it wont even see the internet. I was asked to hook a PC up to the gateway while it was in Bridge mode and I had no internet. The support people at tp-link seemed to think the gateway is having problems.

FWIW, when it is in bridge mode, a gateway device acts like a regular straight cable modem, therefore they need to be power-cycled each and every time that you change the device that is being connected to it in order for that device to be able to obtain internet connectivity (just like a straight cable modem).

I read and hear very good things about the Orbi pods / mesh system !;

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Yeah this was over there course of three days. Many reboots involved. 🌝
Highlighted
Expert

Get your own modem and router and do away with the rental fee !!

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I thought about that as well. It gets pricey though. I need a modem with voice. I'm on blast 300 or something like that.

Any suggestions on a affordable modem?

Rebeljt74
Highlighted
Expert

This one has built-in  phone capability (eMTA), and will deliver the 300 speed tier;

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Cable-Modem-Voice-CM500V/dp/B07V2BJBZQ

https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/#details