Community Forum

XB6 modem won't change default password after loggin in (met password req of 8 characters, etc)

Contributor

XB6 modem won't change default password after loggin in (met password req of 8 characters, etc)

I am talking about logging in at 10.0.0.1 to use the admin tool.

The default password is "password" and username is "admin"

Upon logging in it will direct you to change your password. There are the following fields:

Old Password: "password"

New Password: "my new password goes here"

Re-type New password:

When I click "save" nothing happens. The password does not change and I have to login again with admin and "password". Stuck in a loop

I thought this new Xfi Advantage stuff was supposed to be good and have extra security. It must be some kind of joke with comcast.

Expert

Re: XB6 modem won't change default password after loggin in (met password req of 8 characters, etc)

Have you first tried power-cycling / re-starting the device ? Still no joy ? Try hard resetting the device to factory defaults by pressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear for 30 seconds. This can sometimes clear up some weird behavior issues. You will lose any customized settings, and they will need to be re-configured from scratch if you do the latter.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: XB6 modem won't change default password after loggin in (met password req of 8 characters, etc)

@john5246 wrote:

I am talking about logging in at 10.0.0.1 to use the admin tool.

The default password is "password" and username is "admin"

Upon logging in it will direct you to change your password. There are the following fields:

Old Password: "password"

New Password: "my new password goes here"

Re-type New password:

When I click "save" nothing happens. The password does not change and I have to login again with admin and "password". Stuck in a loop

I thought this new Xfi Advantage stuff was supposed to be good and have extra security. It must be some kind of joke with comcast.

I found that my XB6 gateway has forced me to change the default "password" password to something else.  You might have the same issue.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Yes it asks you to change as soon as you login but it won't save the new password (my password meets all the requirments)

Silver Problem Solver

@john5246 wrote:

Yes it asks you to change as soon as you login but it won't save the new password (my password meets all the requirments)

Which one do you have?

Model Numbers: TG3482G and CGM4140COM

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@john5246 wrote:

Have you tried what I suggested ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Contributor

The problem was the written password requirement aren't accurate. You must choose a more complex password than what I had. I had something like this

pizzaslice123, I also tried Pizzaslice123

You need something like PizzaSlice123$

Expert

Glad that you got it figured out !