Community Forum

XB6 modem/Router

Contributor

XB6 modem/Router

My current setup is a Arris SB8200 and a Nighthawk X6 router on the gigabit plan. My hardwired speeds very from 500-900 Mbps and WiFi speeds on iPhone 8 or MacBook Air never exceed 440 Mbps down. 

My nighthawk is is starting to develope a hardware failure of the gigabit input Ethernet port and I have to unplug and replug in the cable every day or my speeds drop below 90. So I’m looking at 250.00 to replace it

My my question is how is the performance of the XB6 (specifically the technicolor cgm4140COM).

would by download speeds be more stable vs varying so much.  Does the WiFi perform well or would it be slower than my nighthawk. Also I noticed my upload on my SB8200 is not connected to DOCSIS 3.1 (download is) but I do know someone who isn’t to far from me whose sb8200 does connect to DOCSIS 3.1 for the upstream. I am avoiding the arris model due to the known Puma 7 lag issues.  

Basically im thinking about renting the XB6 for the next 6-12 months then getting a new Wi-Fi router once I get a device with AD WiFi and I would like to know if this model is any better than past Comcast supplied modem/router combo units or if I’m better off just upgrading my router now.

Thanks for the advice

Expert

Re: XB6 modem/Router

I would keep the 8200 and go with a high quality gigabit speed capable stand-alone router. Gateway devices bite !

The reason that you don't see a DOCSIS 3.1 channel on the upload side is because Comcast doesn't currently offer it.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Thank you. It’s really hard to find much Info about the XB6’s on the internet. Especially the technicolor version. 

I figured the comcast modem wouldn’t perform that well but I figured I would ask from people that used it. Overall I have been very happy with the nighthawk, other than the new port issue so I will probably stick with the new version of that router that has MIMO but the nighthawk x4s also looks really good and has some great reviews as well. Also maybe it’s possible that my wired speeds very so much because of the port issue as well. 

Contributor

Also,  I was able to find some specs for the technicolor XB6 and on paper it does actually look quite good.  Thats why I was hoping someone had a chance to use it.  it looks like comcast is starting to realize that if they want people to rent their hardware then it needs to be good hardware.  Im actually still curious and kinda interested to try it out. 

I also figured it would be more stable because its issued by comcast.  All the reviews I could find were referring to the Arris version.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Technicolor_CGM4140COM

Expert

The ever present drawbacks of gateway devices;

There is always an inherent disadvantage with these. Combo gateway devices are always a compromise in both quality and performance compared to separate units. Also, only the ISP can update the firmware so you are always a prisoner of that / them. And the firmware is typically crippled by the ISP's customizing of it and they typically eliminate valuable features.

One of the biggest issues with them is that it is far more difficult to diagnose connectivity issues when it comes to troubleshooting. You can't narrow things down by using the process of elimination by removing just the router from the path. And if either segment fails / malfunctions, you have a total failure. I think that CC made a big mistake when they changed their policy and decided to start supplying them instead of dedicated devices. The suits seem to think that this will save them money for support costs but I think that they are getting far more support calls/complaints than ever... We certainly are seeing far more complaints in forums now !

Another issue is that Comcast has been creating a publicly accessible 'xfinitiwifi' link on their gateways. It supposedly uses separate bandwidth from your own. You can disable it from a link on the Comcast site, but people have been posting that it keeps turning itself back on every day.

Get separate units and keep the control of your home network in your hands instead of theirs, you'll be much happier !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Thanks for the advice.  Now I just have to decide on a router but I think i have it narrowed down to two

Netgear Nighthawk X6s, Triband with MIMO

Netgear Nighthawk X4s, only Dual band with MIMO but channels are 160Mhz vs 80Mhz Wide, 15 extra channels to reduce interference (right now im picking up about 5-6 5g wifi networks cause of neighbors so i think that may help). Wi-Fi speeds look faster than the X6 and it does simutanious quad streaming. 

We have 2 iphones, 2 tablets, 2 laptops, and 2 streaming devices, and one computer on WiFi.  We really only use the 2 phones and either 1 tablet, laptop, or streaming device at a time so I think i would really beinfit from the wider Wi-Fi channels and my current x6 covers my entire house and then some so I have no need for a range extender so I think im gonna go with the X4s  Looks like it will give me the best wireless speeds with my gigabit plan