Community Forum

XB6-T vs TC4400-CMT modem and Nighthawk X6 R8000?

New Poster

XB6-T vs TC4400-CMT modem and Nighthawk X6 R8000?

Hi! I have gigabit service in Chicago, using the TC4400-CMT modem and Nighthawk X6 R8000 router provided at installation. I just received in the mail an XB6-T with no instructions or anything. Is this intended to replace my existing equipment? If so, why?Thanks!

Brian

Expert

Re: XB6-T vs TC4400-CMT modem and Nighthawk X6 R8000?

You should have gotten a notice from Comcast to return the TC-4400 and R8000 and use the XB6 instead, with an explanation. (Basically, the XB6 is intended to replace those devices, and the R8000 is vulnerable to the VPN Filter malware). 

If you need help with installation, please go here

"The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can." - Neil Gaiman
New Poster

Thanks! Are there any differences in performance between the two? I've been reading online and found that some people don't think the performance of the XB6-T is as fast. 

Expert

I've used the XB6-T. There isn't anything wrong with its modem - I've been able to consistently test at ~940 Mbps download on an ethernet connection. 

I did find a bit of a performance improvement when I had it bridged to my router (ASUS RT-AC88U) as far as wireless range and speed, however, but that's because my router has much better specs than the XB6-T. 

"The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can." - Neil Gaiman
New Poster

Thanks! I've been pleased with the performance so far compared to the old setup. I am usually getting 600-800Mbps down over Ethernet. Wifi is about 250Mbps I think because I live in downtown Chicago where I can see about 50 wifi networks around me at all times in my building. 

Do you have a pick for best wireless router for congested urban areas? If you could buy any router right now, would you buy the one you have currently? 

Tags (2)