Community Forum

XB6-T Noise

Contributor

XB6-T Noise

Is the Technicolor XB6 very loud? Can I split up ssid's into 2.4 and 5 ghz in the gui?

Expert

Re: XB6-T Noise

There are reports of it being loud. I had no noise with mine while I used to have it. Yes you can split 2.4GHz and 5GHz into two different SSID in the GUI or even the xFi app. The GUI is the same as the XB3
Contributor

Aka the gui is the admin tool?

Expert

Yes. The GUI is the admin tool.
Diamond Problem Solver

@and_youf wrote:

Aka the gui is the admin tool?

GUI = Graphical User Interface.

Contributor

I definitely hear a decently audible whir sound like a fan in a laptop running. If I used my desktop where it is located more it could be of concern to me. It is kind of loud. Maybe they made them quieter, I should go through the process of trying to get a different unit, I'll start posting about the noise issue and ask when it was resolved. Yeah no, I don't think so.Man Frustrated

I thought mine was new and is therefore the latest model. It had plastic on it but the cords were kind of shoddily done.

Silver Problem Solver

@and_youf wrote:

I definitely hear a decently audible whir sound like a fan in a laptop running. If I used my desktop where it is located more it could be of concern to me. It is kind of loud. Maybe they made they quieter, I should go through the process of trying to get a later model, I'll start posting about the noise issue and ask when it was resolved. Yeah no, I don't think so.Man Frustrated

I thought mine was new and is therefore the latest model. It had plastic on it but the cords were kind of shoddily done.

I have an XB6 Technicolor and it is silent.  I was an early adopter in my market and maybe I got lucky.  I have exchanged my gateways at my local Xfinity Store at no charge and I make sure they take the old ones off my account.

You might check to see if your store has the Arris XB6.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

Thanks, I heard to stay away from the Arris because of the Puma 7 chipset which is probably fine but whatever (I know Puma 6 was a problem on xb3).

I have this finally and it is set-up there is no way I am going to try exchanging it and redoing. It is gonna bug me now that you say yours is silent. Maybe it is just a Technicolor thing which I'd be fine with I saw other posts about noise from a google search.

I'm mailing the xb3 back today or tomorrow and not even bothering with the store.

"The are 2 manufacturers of this modem.  The one made in Vietnam is the noisy one, or at least that is my experience.  Got 2 that were very noisy. The last one from China is totally silent with no problems."

Yeah, mine is Vietnam (Technicolor). But according to this thread (that you were in) it isn't all of them. So I don't know. Maybe I'll have them resend one like the Comcast rep in the thread offers.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet-Archive/New-Modem-noise-XB6/td-p/3095554

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@and_youf wrote:

I definitely hear a decently audible whir sound like a fan in a laptop running. If I used my desktop where it is located more it could be of concern to me. It is kind of loud. Maybe they made they quieter, I should go through the process of trying to get a later model, I'll start posting about the noise issue and ask when it was resolved. Yeah no, I don't think so.Man Frustrated

I have an XB6 Technicolor and it is silent.  I was an early adopter in my market and maybe I got lucky.  I have exchanged my gateways at my local Xfinity Store at no charge and I make sure they take the old ones off my account.

You might check to see if your store has the Arris XB6.

Mine was silent too while I had it then I ditched it until the MoCA works on it.

Expert

I would advise against shipping it back to them for a couple of reasons. You got to wait about two weeks for it to be taken off of your account. If you take it to the store, you are given a receipt to keep and the gateway is immediately taken off of your account.

Maybe just a batch issue for some of the Technicolor XB6 gateways.