Community Forum

XB6 Loud Humming sound

New Poster

XB6 Loud Humming sound

I just got an XB6 and there is a loud humming sound coming from it.  Is this common with this modem? 

Expert

Re: XB6 Loud Humming sound

Yes. We've seen this here many times before. Get it swapped out for another.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

For whatever reason the XB6 has a cooling fan, mine sounds like a fish tank pump. I could send it in and get another but its not worth the hassle in my opinion. Unless it sounds like a hair dryer I would not be concerned. Just my two cents.

The fan pulls air in underneath it. You could elevate it higher to allow better airflow.

Expert

@strykerzr350 wrote:

For whatever reason the XB6 has a cooling fan, mine sounds like a fish tank pump. I could send it in and get another but its not worth the hassle in my opinion. Unless it sounds like a hair dryer I would not be concerned. Just my two cents.

The fan pulls air in underneath it. You could elevate it higher to allow better airflow.

Some are loud, some aren't. YMMV... Some were made by Arris, some are made by Technicolor.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hello, Cmf75! Welcome to the Xfinity Forums.

It looks like you have already received some great feedback from the community. As they mentioned, you will want to replace the device. You can do so by either visiting your local service center, or you are more than welcome to send me a private message with your first and last name and I can have one shipped to you.

To send a private message, click my name "ComcastTambrey", then click "send a message".

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@EG wrote:

@strykerzr350 wrote:

Some are loud, some aren't. YMMV... Some were made by Arris, some are made by Technicolor.

I found the Technicolor variant (XB6-T or CGM4140COM) to run warmer than the ARRIS one (XB6-A or TG3482G), but the XB6-T has the (IMO better) Broadcom chipset, versus the Intel chipset. of the XB6-A.

Nowadays, I use really quiet and inexpensive USB powered cooling fans on my modem and on my router - they might help cut down on the fan noise. 

Official Employee

Cmf75, as I have not heard back from you in some time, I have closed this thread to further comments. I hope you were able to get your modem replaced, but if you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new thread.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.