Community Forum

XB6 Gateway is a power hog

Regular Contributor

XB6 Gateway is a power hog

Yesterday I upgraded to gigabit service and all went well.  I keep my gateway plugged in to a 900 watt ups backup in case of a power failure.  So we maintain VOIP phone service and home security system connectivity.

The replaced Xfinity modem had a power consumption around 25 watts, so I was good for about 8 hours of runtime on backup.

I was very surprised to discover that the power comsumption of th XB6 is 165VA.  Now I'll be lucky to get just one hour of runtime on a backup.

The cost to buy a ups backup power supply to run this thing for 8 hours is astranomical.  

Is there any way to reduce the broadcast power in order to reduce the power consumption?

Thanks in advance.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: XB6 Gateway is a power hog

@NEWcam30era wrote:

Yesterday I upgraded to gigabit service and all went well.  I keep my gateway plugged in to a 900 watt ups backup in case of a power failure.  So we maintain VOIP phone service and home security system connectivity.

The replaced Xfinity modem had a power consumption around 25 watts, so I was good for about 8 hours of runtime on backup.

I was very surprised to discover that the power comsumption of th XB6 is 165VA.  Now I'll be lucky to get just one hour of runtime on a backup.

The cost to buy a ups backup power supply to run this thing for 8 hours is astranomical.  

Is there any way to reduce the broadcast power in order to reduce the power consumption?

Thanks in advance.

Does the UPS have a 120v connector so you can leave it plugged in all the time?   When I lose power, the UPS kicks in.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Yes. But I only get about 1 hour of runtime before the battery is depleted.
Expert

@NEWcam30era wrote:

Thanks in advance.

AFAIK, no you can't do that with Comcast supplied gateway devices.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Thank you.  I suspected as much but appreciate the feedback.

Regular Contributor

Solution for increased runtime for ups

I implemented the diy solution presented in the following link.  Now I have more than 8 hours of runtime during a power outage.  Posting this incase someone else finds themselves in the same boat.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Rework-a-UPS-with-Massive-Capacity/