Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

XB6 ARRIS TG3482G, upload consistency and packet loss. All real time applications

Frequent Visitor

XB6 ARRIS TG3482G, upload consistency and packet loss. All real time applications

DO NOT DELETE THIS POST!

Long story short, been dealing with upload consistency and packet loss for better part of a year.

9 visits from Xfinity, rewired the house, new cable to the street did not fix it.

Turns out that XB6 ARRIS GROUP, INC. TG3482G  is not up to the task. It suffers when under load on upload.

Packet loss and constancy issues making video chat, gaming, streaming not possible and certianly not GIG.

While always i get speed test to show the expected up and download (1000 Mbps down and 45 up) when I load the 

upload say with realtime video, high jitter and packet loss experienced. 

The Field supervisor came and added a business unit modem to test..what do you know the problem fixed!

Of course the bad part is 'sir you will need to pay for buiness service' and that is a joke I am one guy with one computer doing a simple video chat or playing games..exactly what gig service should do!.

So now I am hoping that buying a retial Docsis 3.1 modem (motorla or netgear) without a Puma chipset will fix the issue cuz buying a buiness service seems crazy....

Xfinity you have a responsisbiliy to your customers that the supplied modems may not be up to the task.

Tags (3)
Problem Solver

Re: XB6 ARRIS TG3482G, upload consistency and packet loss. All real time applications

Yep. I've had a pretty bad experience with the TG3482G myself. Same issues you described. Problems ameliorated somewhat when I bridged it to a personal router (ASUS RT-AC68P), but I still found it underwhelming, especially in games. 

See if you can get the Technicolor version (CGM4140COM) instead, which has a Broadcom chipset. It worked really well for me before I installed my personal modem (ARRIS SB8200). 

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
Expert

Re: XB6 ARRIS TG3482G, upload consistency and packet loss. All real time applications

There have been a lot of reported issues with the Arris XB6 just like @darkangelic mentioned. Last I heard, Comcast only has Technicolor XB6's in stock. Although an employee can't guarantee a specific manufacturer, they certainly can help you swap the modem. 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.
Frequent Visitor

Hey @darkangelic 

So I was thinking to buy a retail modem like the one you bought. Any specific reason you bought it over the one that ended up working?

Problem Solver

@realtimeMJ wrote:

Hey @darkangelic 

So I was thinking to buy a retail modem like the one you bought. Any specific reason you bought it over the one that ended up working?

Well, I also have a QNAP TS231+ NAS, which uses Link Aggregation, but the XB6 gateway doesn't support it so I had to bridge the gateway to my ASUS RT-AC88U router, which does support it, but then I realized I was renting the gateway for $11/mo and still using my own router, so I activated my own modem to save the rental fee. 

As far as the actual device (Arris SB8200) I wound up using, I have a personal preference for Arris modems, but you can't go wrong with either the Netgear CM1000, or the Motorola MB8600. 

(I have Triple Play service from Comcast, so I also activated an older TM722G just for the voice part. )

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
Official Employee

Hi @realtimeMJ

If you do decide to swap the rental modem, I can help by having one shipped to you. I'd just need you to verify your account information in a private message. To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, street address including city state and zip code, and the full account number or phone number associated with your services.