Community Forum

XB3's

Contributor

XB3's

Cisco DPC3941T v Arris TG1682G v Technicolor TC8717

Which XB3 do you guys prefer after owning one or the other?

Contributor

Cisco dpc3941t

This gateway was recalled awhile back. Should it be avoided?

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30973445-Equip-Is-there-a-Recall-on-Cisco-3941T

Expert

Re: XB3's

Out of the three I personally that the Arris TG1682G is the best out of the three. However, the XB6 is also available as well.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Cisco dpc3941t

It is a recall on some of the old Cisco versions of the model. Since Technicolor took over that division of Cisco, Technicolor made newer DPC3941T so now Technicolor is now the current manufacturer of the DPC3941T.

FYI. You would have been fine if you posted this in your original thread you had asking which XB3 to go with.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I'm working on getting a Technicolor XB6...I will not run it with the auto band switching though...two seperate SSID's.

Why do you prefer the Arris xb3?

Why did you get rid of your XB6?

Expert

You asked which XB3 is preferred? That’s why I said 1682. In reality I do prefer the Technicolor XB6 more.

The only reason I got rid of it is because I use the Actiontec WCB6200Q Wireless MoCA Adapter. The MoCA on that XB6 does not work well.

Silver Problem Solver

@and_youf wrote:

I'm working on getting a Technicolor XB6...I will not run it with the auto band switching though...two seperate SSID's.

Why do you prefer the Arris xb3?

Why did you get rid of your XB6?

Just an FYI; my three Orbi's only use one SSID and it has been seamless since I installed them.  It does a great job of supporting both bands.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

It is really bothering me whether to split up the SSID's for residential or let the auto band switching do it's thing with one band. Do I lose any features if I split it up into two bands like the advanced channel switching? How would I do this in the gui? I just don't want my laptop jumping from 2.4 to 5 I wish I could lock it to 5. I'm just so leary about letting it pick bands and feeling like I need to check what my laptop is on every time I use it.

Expert

As far as I’m aware of you would just not be able to use xFi pods by splitting the SSID.

Contributor

It's this that is bothering me. They push the single SSID so hard and talk about how you get the advanced channel switching and other firmware features.

https://xfinitytechtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Advanced-Gateway-Installaion-Process-Job-Aid_...

Silver Problem Solver

@and_youf wrote:

It's this that is bothering me. They push the single SSID so hard and talk about how you get the advanced channel switching and other firmware features.

https://xfinitytechtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Advanced-Gateway-Installaion-Process-Job-Aid_...

My understanding is that a single SSID is only required if you purchase xFi Pods.  I use an Orbi instead of the Pods and the Orbi also uses a single SSID which sorks just fine with 2.4 and 5.0 devices.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

My understanding is that a single SSID is only required if you purchase xFi Pods.  I use an Orbi instead of the Pods and the Orbi also uses a single SSID which sorks just fine with 2.4 and 5.0 devices.

Why are they so adamant then about recommending the customer go with one SSID?

"XFINITY xFi Advanced gateways (XB6) and xFi gateways (RDK-B XB3) use advanced techniques such as band steering and advanced channel selection when the gateways are configured with a single SSID, resulting in a more consistent and reliable experience for customers. Splitting the SSIDs can impact the quality of the in-home experience. Please recommend the customer download the xFi app for mobile devices to enhance their WiFi experience."

"If the user requests Dual Wi-Fi networks for valid reasons, please explain the potential limitations and follow instructions in next section for separate SSIDs. WiFi customization (Dual Wi-Fi Networks) – not preferred"

*Are the screenshots in that pdf the mobile app or the xfi web portal?

Expert

It’s because they are trying to push the mesh type of system which mesh only uses one SSID and one password across 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

EDIT: The screenshots look like they are from the setup page from the gateway upon first use.