Community Forum

X5001 w/ MOCA TV over Coax - Bridge Mode or Firewall solution (WAN Passthrough)

New Poster

X5001 w/ MOCA TV over Coax - Bridge Mode or Firewall solution (WAN Passthrough)

Hello everyone,

Looking for direction on getting my X5001 modem to hand my firewall a direct WAN IP but also keep the MOCA functionality since this modem requires MOCA to drive TVs from what I understand. Just had service installed today, coming from Charter. We tried turning on bridge mode but it completely broke the TV and we couldn't seem to even reset the X5001. Thoughts/Solutions? I have my own Firewall/Switch/AP and just want to hand my firewall a WAN as well as keep MOCA active for the TV functionality.

Expert

Re: X5001 w/ MOCA TV over Coax - Bridge Mode or Firewall solution (WAN Passthrough)

I'm not 100 percent certain but I believe that I saw a Comcast employee recently write a reply to a customer stating that that device can NOT be in "bridge mode" if you want the MoCA feature to be able to function. Can anyone confirm ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: X5001 w/ MOCA TV over Coax - Bridge Mode or Firewall solution (WAN Passthrough)

This is the behavior I saw today with the x5001 (fiber epon modem). Turned on bridged mode, broke TV. Then we couldn't reset it to factory, install tech had to just install another x5001. Felt bad. We also have the home phone too (triple play on fiber essentially with 1 MOCA Coax TV). I'm concerned about making changes now hence my post here for advice to accomplish my goal.

New Poster

Was thinking they're could be an outside the box solution here with either additional equipment or another cable split/run to support the MOCA device while running the modem in Bridge mode.

Diamond Problem Solver

@EG is correct, you would need the modem not in bridge mode and possibly use a moca adaptor. It’s not something that Comcast supports but there’s plenty of experts who can comment about their use. Or search the forum, for example,
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Re-Setting-up-MOCA-with-Xfinity/m-p/3240431#M304271

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Appreciate the help here. So the TV is powered by a MoCA device Comcast installed yesterday that goes into the X5001 coax port to the MoCA device Coax port, and shows up in my Xfinity login as this.

Hostname
Xfinity Device
Brand
Generic Brand
Model
ISP TV Box
Operating System
Linux
Device Type
Set Top Box
Connection Type
MoCA
Connection Point
Wireless Gateway

What does this device need to function, just a local IP address that can exit the network? Or does it have to register what the X5001? Ideally I'd like to put the X5001 in bridge mode and have a TV solution. I believe the phone worked while we were in bridge mode.

Ethernet directly to TV is also possible if that allows for a solution to exist.
New Poster

I had a similar challenge and ended up using double NAT with my router behind the Xfinity router.

The TV boxes (traditional coax and the new wifi) connect to the Xfinity network (hidden wifi) and all other devices connect to my wireless network.

Depending on why you wanted to use bridge mode, you can get close to that by using the DMZ feature on the Xfinity router