Community Forum

X5001 gateway issue

Frequent Visitor

X5001 gateway issue

My community is converting to fiber optics and I recently had the x5001 gateway installed as part of my equipment.  Now, my wireless laptop cannot print to an ethernet wired printer because the wireless portion of my network is blocked from the ethernet segment.  I have identified the problem as being a setting, AP Isolation, is enabled by default.  However, the interface software of the gateway does not allow a user to change this setting.

I have reported this problem to Comcast, and multiple technicians and consultants have not been able to rectify this issue, which is affecting not only myself but many other members of my community.  I believe the problem can only be rectified through Comcast Engineering.  Note, the gateway was manufactured by Pace division of Arris, but Arris tech will not speak to me because I am not a Comcast person.

Help!!!!

Tags (1)
Expert

Re: X5001 gateway issue

I have escalated this issue to a Comcast Employee. Have you tried restarting the printer or going through network setup on the printer again?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

It is not a printer issue.  The Comcast tech who installed the system came back and plugged my wife's computer, which was operating off WiFi, into the router and it immediately printed.  I was able to take my laptop over to the router, plug it in, and was able to print.  I have talked to multiple people at Comcast; four in "Wireless Gateway Dept." had never run across X5001 gateway.  

Thank you for escalating the problem.  It needs to get escalated to Comcast Gateway Engineering for resolution.

@jweaver0312 wrote:
I have escalated this issue to a Comcast Employee. Have you tried restarting the printer or going through network setup on the printer again?

Expert

What brand of WiFi printer are you using? HP printers can be a "bear" for installing on computers. Especially Windows 10.

Did you remove all previous printer devices shown in your computer? After doing that follow instructions for installation in your "Private" home network.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

The original post states that the printer is an ethernet wired printer.  It is a Brother MFC7820N, network ready by not WiFi.

Official Employee

Hello, hshachter, thank you for reaching out. I would be happy to take a look at the account to see if we can change the settings. Can you please send me a PM with your first and last name to take a look?

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@hshachter wrote:

The original post states that the printer is an ethernet wired printer.  It is a Brother MFC7820N, network ready by not WiFi.

It will still need to be installed under "wired" instructions for the printer as a device. Any previous references to the printer need to be removed from the computer and a new installation done.

Frequent Visitor

Hello ComcastAlly,

Maybe I am blind, but I clicked your name, it took me to a new site containing links to your many posts, but I could not find a place to send a message.  Please send new instructions.

Official Employee

hshachter, 

You should be all set to send me a PM now, we had to make some changes to your profile. Sorry about that! 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Been there, done that. Windows 10 on the laptop cannot find the printer. It can be discovered by IP address, but still generates errors. I said in beginning, it is a gateway/router issue.
Expert

@hshachter wrote:
Been there, done that. Windows 10 on the laptop cannot find the printer. It can be discovered by IP address, but still generates errors. I said in beginning, it is a gateway/router issue.

Well I am luckier than you. I have a Zyxel C30000Z gateway and DSL broadband. I had 5 devices all installed before the CenturyLink tech. got out the door. The HP printer took a little bit longer. I did all on WiFi first, and later moved my Samsung 3D UHD television and my Sony real 3D player to LAN ports.

The Comcast person here should be able to reprovision your gateway over the private messaging system.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for trying to help.  I hope the Comcast guy can do something.

Expert

Have to sent a PM (private message) to Comcast Ally yet?

Click on her Name (Bold type) in her earlier post here. You should find a blue box in upper right of her profile page. By now she should have set you up to be able to see the box. Click on that box to send her needed personal information.

Official Employee

Just to recap here in case other users are experiencing the same issues -

In order to fix this, we'd just need to log into the modem from our side. I'm having some issues doing that at the moment, but a technician could help with this. They can also fix the signal issues you're experiencing.  

Frequent Visitor

Yes.
New Poster

Perhaps my community is the one referenced in this post (Grandezza of Estero FL).

Anyway worked for 18 years with Cisco Systems fo I feel rather qualified to make this complaint.

I have been called to four of my neighbors homes for this EXACT issue (wireless printers not keeping connection). None of this had this issue before the upgrade to the X5001 gateways so that and other troubleshooting I have done all point to an internal routing issue with this device.

If as you say, you simply must log into it from you side and do an update, please let me know who to call and when to get this issue fixed.

Official Employee

Hey there, deemeredur. This is actually currently being investigated by Arris. Once I have an update on a workaround for this issue, and I can update this public thread. 

New Poster

I would think Arris would have some sort of idea by now.  Any word? I can tell you that my x5001 has undergone several updates during the recent weeks however the origonal issue, while better still exists.  (Wireless printer connectivity is occasionally lost however if I take my laptop and plug directly to the gateway printing is fine). So there still has to be some communication issue with either the wireless module or the router module in the gateway.