Community Forum

X1 and Linksys Velop TriBand Mesh System

New Poster

X1 and Linksys Velop TriBand Mesh System

We have several TVs (2 wifi connected), Internet and Voice,  and Home security.  When the system was installed I had an Apple Airport Extreme with a Airport Express as a range extender.  Directly connected to the Extreme is a NAS and our security camera system (not Xfinity).  But we have several Nest thermostats, Ring, multiple computers, a printer and a host of other things that are wirelessly connected to our original network.  So I didn't want to change the network name and reconfigure everything when we installed the X1 system.  My plan was to put the X1 modem/router in bridge mode and go on as usual.  Hoever, when the system was installed we were informed that I could not put the TECHNICOLOR CGM4140COM in bridge mode becuase the wifi TV's and the Home Security needed to use the Wifi from the X1 modem/router.  So, I put the Airport Exreme in bridge mode, hid the SSID for the X1 and continue to use my original SSID for all my other devices.   The Express and extreme are at the end of their useful lives and I am installing a Velop triband Mesh system.  All this by way of asking, was I informed correcly, I can't change the modem/router to bridge mode?  Therefore I must put the Velop in bridge mode.  And has anyone out there done this?  What advice do you have?  Thanks

Expert

Re: X1 and Linksys Velop TriBand Mesh System

Have you seen this about putting the Comcast gateway devices in to bridge mode;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

@justbydiane,
Adding to @EG, if you have wireless X1 boxes and Home Security, you can’t put your gateway into bridge mode

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@CCAndrew wrote:
@justbydiane,
Adding to @EG, if you have wireless X1 boxes and Home Security, you can’t put your gateway into bridge mode

Andrew, I have the XB6, Home Security, Voice, xFi and X1.  I am using the Orbi and my XB6 is in Bridge Mode.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

I can’t speak for your home security set up but you don’t have wireless boxes, so you can’t compare your set up to the OP’s. Are you sure you’re in true bridge mode?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@CCAndrew wrote:
I can’t speak for your home security set up but you don’t have wireless boxes, so you can’t compare your set up to the OP’s. Are you sure you’re in true bridge mode?

You are correct; if I had wireless X1 boxes, I could not have my XB6 in Bridge Mode.

The only way the Orbi will work with the XB6 is for it to be in Bridge Mode.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Thank you all for confirming that with wireless x1 boxes I cannot put the Xfinity router in bridge mode. I will set up the Velop In bridge mode as I did with my AirPort Extreme. If anyone out there has a Velop setup in Bridge mode with Xfinity, I would appreciate any advice you may have.