Community Forum

X1, XB3 and MoCA Networking

Frequent Visitor

X1, XB3 and MoCA Networking

I got three X1 DVRs, and an XB3.  I also use one Actiontec MoCA adapter, ECB6200 to extend the network WiFi using MoCA as the backbone.  Since this has been setup.   I've seen changes but, one thing has been consistent.  I can only get about 1/4 of the advertised speed.  

First, the XB3 would allow me to keep the MoCA enabled and it was set to the Preferred Network Controller.  So I assumed the X1 boxes would then connect to it.  Well, over time, that changed, MoCA is enabled but is no longer the network controller as the page says "Preferred Network Controller:  No".  My X1 DVRs still can communicate with one another and haven't seen any issues in that regard. 

I would disable the MoCA network on the XB3 and the Actiontec adapter would show connection but connection would be gone, the DVRs appear to still talk to one another.  I asked Comcast on Twitter and they told me the DVRs are themselves creating the MoCA network at 1.1.  I've gotten confused as to how this is all really working.  

My end result that I'm aiming for is that I'm trying to get better speeds with the Actiontec MoCA adapter and thought if I could get the adapter and XB3 to communicate via MoCA 2.0 that things would improve.  However, the XB3 only shows MoCA channel D1 which is 1.1 and no apparent settings to be able to change it.  

What is the latest and greatest on this subject?  Is there anything I can do to improve the adapter's connection?

I've read somewhere that Comcast has or is releasing a WiFi Extender that uses the MoCA network.  Where is that?  I'm looking for all details and possible advise to improve the network.

Expert

Re: X1, XB3 and MoCA Networking

What is the model of the XB3? Also, did you try changing the moca channel on the adapters?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

I have the DPC3941T. I only use on adapter and it connects to whatever MoCa network is actually being deployed. It does appear Comcast has changed some stuff around.
Expert

I would get rid of it and get a 1682. I had the same problem where moca on 3941 would top off at 80 out of 240 for my Blast! Internet and once I swapped out for a 1682, even though mine says D1 right now which I think is wrong on mine, I get my full speed. The 1682 is Moca 2.0 the 3941 is 1.0 I believe if you have the Cisco one, and should be 2.0 on the Technicolor one. Personally, the 1682, even though it doesn’t look like it shows the correct moca channel on use, works better than the 3941 especially since all of these RDK-B upgrades.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

What is the full model of the one you think I should use?

Expert

I have the ARRIS TG1682G with my Blast plan 200 and I can get 240+ download on a WCB6200Q

Frequent Visitor

Ok, interesting.

Anyway, I thought all the XB3s were MoCA 2.0.  I also know Comcast has changed something.  MoCA on the XB3 stays on and before it was set to be the preferred Network Controller, now it says No.  It doesn't give any option to change it.  I've unplugged all devices, plugged in the XB3 first and let it finish starting up and did one X1 DVR box at a time after that and it didn't change anything.  I'm trying to figure out why they changed that so the DVRs stick with their own network and have the XB3 all by itself.  I thought having the XB3 was required for X1 because of the MoCA requirements.

Expert

I believe the Cisco 3941 is the only one that’s not. The Technicolor 3941 which is newer is moca 2.0. I would go with the Arris 1682. It does have moca 2.0 but it will probably say it’s on D1, which is hard to believe but ever since I went over to a 1682 it worked wonders pulling the same speeds over Ethernet, 5GHz AC WI-FI, and MoCA 2.0

Frequent Visitor

I pulled up a PDF with specs and it says its both 1.1 and 2.0 which I'm guessing they mean its 2.0 that is also backwards compatible with 1.1

I'm going to try and contact Comcast on Twitter and ask for the Arris Model you're talking about.

Frequent Visitor

Here is something else as well.  Like I mentioned, I have 3 X1 DVRs, one XB3 and the Actiontec ECB6200.  The XB3 is saying its not the preferred controller anymore.  Yet, if I turn off the XB3's MoCA, the Actiontec will stop working.  The lights come on but, no internet connection.  This entire setup is really weird.  It appears the DVRs are creating the network, the XB3 connects to it and somehow allows the ECB to go through it.   I can never get over 100Mbps on the ECB.

Expert

It’s probably just because of it being a MoCA 1.1 Network. With the 1682 hopefully that should change. Mine does say it is the preferred network controller but I don’t have X1 anymore. I used to them got rid of it because I didn’t like it. I’m not sure if mine said yes or no with X1 but I wouldn’t know anyhow since then I had the 3941

Frequent Visitor

Well, I swapped out the gateway.  I got the ARRIS model.  It made a whole world of difference.  I can get 200 or more on the Actiontec ECB6200 upstairs.  The gateway is now stating its the primary controller (but for how long, who knows) and its capable of 2.0 but is currently operating at 1.1   

I thought maybe swapping the gateway would also solve the signal issues Comcast is seeing.  I guess the signal levels aren't in spec.  I got them coming out on the 25th.  I'm hoping it isn't because of the MoCA 2.0 splitters I put outside.  

Expert

It’s operating at Moca 2.0. Even though it says D1 I don’t believe it but more so believe that’s a bug in the firmware. Moca 1.1 maxes out at about 175 so you wouldn’t get 200 if it is truly at moca 1.1

Frequent Visitor

Interesting, I wonder why Comcast would have their gateway software showing direct misinformation.    The ARRIS I now have tells me on the setup GUI that its capable of 2.0 but, current operation is 1.1  It has this neat MoCA diagram showing the nodes with lines and I assume connection speeds.

Expert

As far as I’m aware of that is correct. Those are connection speeds between the gateway and the MoCA adapter.

Frequent Visitor

Here's the diagram. I uploaded a screenshot PDF.

New Poster

Are you using one Actiontec MoCA adapter or two?  I am trying to get this going and trying to figure out if I only need one adapater (for the basement) where I plan to use it.  Is another required on the modem? Or since it is MoCA capable only the one Actiontec adapter is needed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Frequent Visitor

I only use one adapter. The gateway provides the network for the adapter. Even though I have x1 boxes throughout the house, my adapter will not work unless the gateway has its moca enabled. Comcast had shut it off once but never after that. Give it a shot.