Community Forum

X1 Gateway and Orbi Mesh Network

Contributor

X1 Gateway and Orbi Mesh Network

I currrently have a X1 Gateway that handles my three services (Internet, phone and TV). The WiFi barely makes it into the back bedroom and was considering either a Mesh extender like the Netgear EX7000, or full Mesh Network with a Netgear Orbi. I'm leaning towards the Orbi and wondered how it would work with my current Gateway. Would I still need it, or would a cheaper Cable/Phone modem do the trick? Does the little satalite Cable box in our bedroom need thr Xfinity gateway? 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Gateway and Orbi Mesh Network

@RobS10 wrote:

I currrently have a X1 Gateway that handles my three services (Internet, phone and TV). The WiFi barely makes it into the back bedroom and was considering either a Mesh extender like the Netgear EX7000, or full Mesh Network with a Netgear Orbi. I'm leaning towards the Orbi and wondered how it would work with my current Gateway. Would I still need it, or would a cheaper Cable/Phone modem do the trick? Does the little satalite Cable box in our bedroom need thr Xfinity gateway? 

I replaced my older Comcast Gateway (XB3) with the XB6 because I knew Gigabit would be available in the furure.  When I was upgraded to Gigabit (no extra charge on my Comcast Plan) I found the wifi to be too weak for my 1950 home with lots of solid wood framing.  I tried extenders and none of the worked to my satisfaction, so I purchased the Orbi with two satellites and now I have a solid wifi for all my wifi devices.  All my ethernet devices are routed through gigabit switches to one ethernet port on my Orbi.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!