Community Forum

Wrong Location Showing on Xfinity Home Page as Well as Other Web Pages

Contributor

Wrong Location Showing on Xfinity Home Page as Well as Other Web Pages

For some reason in the last month or so my location on the home page for Xfinity is showing a different city an hour away from where I'm located. Previously it showed the right city. Also whenever I go into some shopping sites on the internet (such as Kohls or Home Depot or Target), it shows either this wrong city or another city close to it rather than where I'm actually located. Also, when I try to change the city to the right one using the zip code, the internet will not let me enter it and reverts back to the wrong place. What can I do? I've got Safari on a Macbook Pro and using Google search engine (changed from DuckDuckGo because I wondered if that was the problem.) This is so crazy! Any ideas? Thanks! Susan
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Wrong Location Showing on Xfinity Home Page as Well as Other Web Pages

You likely recently received a new / different WAN (public) IP address assignment to your connection from their DHCP server / IP address pool, and the rDNS / geolocation data that is associated with it is now incorrect for you as it previously belonged to someone else that lived in that area. Comcast shuffles blocks of IP addresses around the country all the time. ISP's don't correct this. A third party service does. Unfortunately this is typically a *back-burner* thing to get corrected. The only thing that you can do is to report it. You can try this;

https://support.maxmind.com/geoip-data-correction-request/

http://www.apnic.net/services/services-apnic-provides/helpdesk/faqs/geolocation

Contributor

EG, Thanks for your reply. In all the years we've had Comcast/Xfinity, we've never had this happen before so it is quite exasperating. I went on one of the sites to check my IP and it said the correct city yet still I'm getting the wrong city on the home page for Xfinity. Perhaps it's not that big of a deal, but I like to check stock in a few local stores and this is making it almost impossible. It's as if my computer has its own mind and decides I'm in the other city no matter what! I may report it but doubt anyone in the company really cares. That's kind of the way it is today unfortunately.
Diamond Problem Solver

As a work-around, can you not just manually choose your preferred locations on various websites in the interim ?