Community Forum

Wrong IP Location (Geo Location)

Highlighted
New Poster

Wrong IP Location (Geo Location)

Hello,

I live in Illinois, but my IP Location (Geo Location) shows that I'm located in Indiana.  I noticed my Internet connection got unstable and noticably slower since a week or two ago.  From about the same time, I can't purchase Illinois Lottery because it says I'm locationed outside of Illinois.  

I contacted Xfinity tech support and explained this.  He said he sees a problem from his side, so he'll send a technitian here.  The technitian came and said that I have a bad signal.  He replaced the cable from the main box to the house.  The speed did get faster than before (acording to speedtest.net).  

But I'm still having the same issue I originally reported.  My IP address is located in Indiana when I actually am in Illinois.  I did try restarting and unplugging the modem multiple times.  I did unplug the modem for over a minute each time.  

My sister lives right across the street and she has the same service and the same modem.  I don't have this problem when I bring my laptop there to test this.

Please let me know what I can do to fix this.

Expert

Re: Wrong IP Location (Geo Location)

You likely recently received a new / different WAN (public) IP address assignment to your connection from their DHCP server / IP address pool, and the rDNS / geolocation data that is associated with it is now incorrect for you as it previously belonged to someone else that lived in that area. Comcast shuffles blocks of IP addresses around the country all the time. ISP's don't correct this. A third party service does. Unfortunately this is typically a *back-burner* thing to get corrected. The only thing that you can do is to report it. You can try this;

https://support.maxmind.com/geoip-data-correction-request/

http://www.apnic.net/services/services-apnic-provides/helpdesk/faqs/geolocation

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I requested the correction 2 days ago and it's showing the correct location this morning.

Thank you very much!

Expert

Quite welcome ! Now closing this thread.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!