Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Wireless network Connection help

Frequent Visitor

Wireless network Connection help

I have Xfinity Performance Internet. I have a Linksys cable modem/router. I spilled coffee on my sony vaio laptop and the wireless internet quit working so I have to use a Netgear usb wireless Ac Adapter that I installed. Up until then my Linksys06653 is the internet access name that my laptop would sign into. It always showed 72 -100 Mbps. After i installed the Netgear wireless adapter to my laptop it now shows 2 connections for me to choose to sign in with. One is Linksys06653 (the only one I had before) and Linksys06653_G

When it signs in to the Linksys06553_G it shows speed as 433.0 Mbps not the usual 72-100 Mbps. Is it normal for me to have 2 different internet connections with the same password. All I know is my laptop is faster then its ever been since installing the Netgear adapter.

Thanks for any help.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Wireless network Connection help

@wendy2011 wrote:

I have Xfinity Performance Internet. I have a Linksys cable modem/router. I spilled coffee on my sony vaio laptop and the wireless internet quit working so I have to use a Netgear usb wireless Ac Adapter that I installed. Up until then my Linksys06653 is the internet access name that my laptop would sign into. It always showed 72 -100 Mbps. After i installed the Netgear wireless adapter to my laptop it now shows 2 connections for me to choose to sign in with. One is Linksys06653 (the only one I had before) and Linksys06653_G

When it signs in to the Linksys06553_G it shows speed as 433.0 Mbps not the usual 72-100 Mbps. Is it normal for me to have 2 different internet connections with the same password. All I know is my laptop is faster then its ever been since installing the Netgear adapter.

Thanks for any help.

Waiting 2 weeks for any answer. Can anyone out there help?

Expert

Without knowing the model numbers of your adapter or router I would say that the new adapter that states (AC) is a "dual WiFi band" 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (AC) capable one and it is now associating with the faster 5 GHz band instead of the slower 2.4 GHz band that is broadcasted from your router.

Silver Problem Solver

Well your linksys modem/router is dual band wireless. Perhaps the wireless network card in the laptop was single 2,4 band only.

Now you have a dual band USB adapter you can see both the 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless networks. Typically the 2,4GHz network will have greater range, but will be slower speed. The 5 GHz network will have less range but will be faster.

(to echo EG)...... I did edit out a paragraph, keep forgetting that Performance Pro can be up to 150/5 these days and not just Performance 25. Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Thank you both for answering my question. Now I know the difference between them and why I have 2 internet connections.