Community Forum

Wireless internet speeds have plummeted.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Wireless internet speeds have plummeted.

About a week ago the wireless internet on my comcast wireless gateway has taken a nose dive.  It's been spotty at best and usually only connects in the 0.5-5 Mbps range.  This is only affeting the 2.4ghz wireless band though.  Both the ethernet connection and 5ghz wireless are working just fine.  I called comcast and the person they sent out was no help whatsoever.  He connected his personal and work phone to the 5ghz wireless(which I told him had no problems several times) and then ran speedtest and declared nothing was wrong.  When I showed him what happened to a device that conneccted to the 2.4ghz band he would only say that it should be much higher but he couldn't do anything about the connection to external devices(despite the fact that every single device connected to the 2.4ghz band simultaneously began having the exact same connection issues) and that maybe I should hardwire everything into the router.  He then remeinded me that when he connected to the network(using the 5ghz band that I told him from the beginning was working just fine) it worked without any problems. 

Anybody else have a similar wirless issue? Should I just try replacing my hardware or just call and try to get a different person to come out and look at it if the problem persists?

Expert

Re: Wireless internet speeds have plummeted.

The 2.4 Ghz band is subject to interference from lots of sources - Bluetooth, cordless phones, microwaves, large electronics like TVs and monitors, USB 3.0 devices, even other routers and networks. Something got added to your household recently? 

You can try and minimize the interference by specifiying your 2.4 Ghz band to run either on Channels 1, 6, or 11. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

If you have a comcast home office near by, i would just walk in and have them swap it out for you.  it could actually be an issue w/ the wireless on that gateway.

Expert

@plackeg

For giggles;

Some tips for improving WiFi performance;

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/10-ways-you-might-be-killing-your-home-wi-fi-signal

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Improve-Your-Wireless-Gateway-Home-Network/td-p/26276...

There are other options. Google for WiFi repeaters / range extenders, WiFi mesh systems / pods, powerline ethernet adapters, MoCA adapters. Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!