Community Forum

Will Gigabit work with my existing coaxial line? Does a new line run directly to modem?

Contributor

Will Gigabit work with my existing coaxial line? Does a new line run directly to modem?

EDIT****** I made a mistake, the internet is actually only coming from our owned modem, the other modem is only for the voice only. I thought my laptop was connecting to some other network and I got confused.

I'm having the tech come by for install and we already have a newer line running to our house. I forget what the name of that type of line is but it's a fat line about the size of your pinky in thickness.

We already get great speeds of 180mbps on our Blast! plan (which is more than what we're provisioned for).

The line comes into our house and goes to a splitter. The rest of the lines go through the walls. We two modems which both get internet and one get voice as well (rental). Will it continue to work like this? If not can the tech run ethernet cable for us as part of the installation?

Does the line for gigabit have to run directly to the modem?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Will Gigabit work with my existing coaxial line? Does a new line run directly to modem?

If you have more than one modem that are all able to use internet and you only pay for one subscription, the second one receiving internet will no longer receive as it is against policy without paying for a second subscription.

It does use the existing coax lines, the tech mainly make sure the signals are good enough to achieve Gigabit.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Will Gigabit work with my existing coaxial line? Does a new line run directly to modem?

No not at all, your current setup should be fine. As long as you have the proper equipment and bootfile, you should be fine.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

Bottom line is that you'll need a DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit capable modem.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

Comcast allows 2 modems under certain circumstances. An example of this is when one of the modems is for voice. In our case both modems also provide internet. We don't abuse the internet bandwidth and they've never said anything to us about it. Both modems count toward the bandwidth limit of 1024 Gigabytes/month.

Contributor

I have already changed out one of them modems to the Motorla SB8600 and of course the tech will bring the XB6 modem which will do the voice as well. I'm hoping both will get internet otherwise it will be a big inconvience for us trying to get internet on both floors. The way the last tech set it up was perfect.

Diamond Problem Solver

That’s not how it works, if the tech is bringing an xb6, it will have phone only and your personal modem will have internet (or the XB6 will have both) but there won’t be internet coming from both

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

Even though you have 2 modems, internet subscriptions only cover one modem. Meaning another internet subscription would need to be purchased to have a second modem have internet. I used to be in that same boat. It can be activated for multiple but you’re not supposed to and an audit will shut one off. When they run an audit on your account, you’ll know they did when one modem doesn’t have internet anymore.

I would start looking into WiFi Extenders, Powerline Extenders, MoCA adapters, since the XB6 does have MoCA built in.

Contributor

This is correct, I asked customer service and I was wrong, we are only getting internet from our owned modem. The other modem is doing voice only.