Community Forum

Wifi suddenly goes slow

New Poster

Wifi suddenly goes slow

I tend to do a lot of gaming, and my computer is in the basement. I used to be getting 4 bars of wifi which was pretty good to me. But we were late a bit to the payment by a few days or a week. Even though we payed the bill, the wifi has slown down to 2 bars and now its harder to play online games. Why?
Expert

Re: Wifi suddenly goes slow

The "bars" are an indication of the received WiFi signal strength, and not directly the speed. But indirectly, the speed will be slower if the signal strength is weaker.

And it has nothing to do with your bill payment status. The signal may be weaker due to increased WiFi signal interference / noise levels due to congestion from neighbors.

Some tips for improving WiFi performance;

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/10-ways-you-might-be-killing-your-home-wi-fi-signal

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Improve-Your-Wireless-Gateway-Home-Network/td-p/26276...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: Wifi suddenly goes slow

Hello, Cooperdog201612! Welcome to the Xfinity Forums.

Please be sure to look over the links EG provided to see if they are able to help. If you are still having troubles, you are more than welcome to send me a Private Message with your full name so I can take a closer look into the issue.

To send a private message, click my name "ComcastTambrey", then click "send a message".

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!