Community Forum

Wifi significantly slower than ethernet

Frequent Visitor

Wifi significantly slower than ethernet

I am having issues with my wifi speed.  I have the Blast service and on a wired ethernet connection I am getting speeds in excess of 120 mbps.   However on wifi my speeds range from 15 to 25.   A comcast tech came out and suggested it was an issue with the gateway and I am on my third this month.  I am currently using the latest cisco gateway which has both 5 and 2.4 ghz connections.   This gave me about 5 mbps higher than what I had previously but still at 20% or less than the ethernet speed.  I am aware wifi will be slower, but 20% seems excessive.   If 15-25 is all I can get why pay for the faster service?

My setup includes the comcast gateway trying both 2.4 and 5 along with a linksys/cisco E3200 wireless router.   I get similar performance on the comcast wifi as I do on the E3200.   I have tried disconnecting my E3200 and that has no impact.  I have also adjusted the channels using a tool to find those with the least amount of traffic which helped a little but there wasn't any significant interference

I am not having issues with the signal and have "excellent" signal on all.

Any ideas?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Wifi significantly slower than ethernet

Update:  I tried bridging directly to my E3200 router and had slightly better speeds (3-5 mbps), but nothing significant.

Problem Solver

If you are going to use your router you need to put your gateway into full bridge mode and turn off the wireless on your gateway

Frequent Visitor

I tried that and it had minimal impact on performance.

Problem Solver

You probably should get rid of  that POS Linksys and get a good router.

Regular Contributor

Cisco used to have some kind of malicious website protection feature enabled by default in router admin that was killing connection speed because it took forever to go out and check each connection. Disabling it returned it back to a useful router.

Frequent Visitor

I will look further into the router issue.  thanks

Frequent Visitor

My speed tumbled down a great deal and turning off the gateway did not help it.....gonna have to call for service

Valued Contributor

What kind of wifi card do you have in your laptop? That may be the bottleneck

Frequent Visitor

I upgraded to an Asus router with the modem in bridge mode and am now getting speeds over with between 40 and 125 depending on the device and location. Clearly the Cisco/linksys was a bad router. Thanks