Community Forum

Wifi signal strength

Frequent Visitor

Wifi signal strength

The Wifi signal was low in my bedroom so I added a signal extender. The signal is stronger but I continue to have freezing of the video when trying to watch tv on a iPad or iPhone. I have the supplied Comcast modem and router. Any help?
Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

Signal strength

I had poor signal strength in my bedroom so I added a Wifi range extender. The signal is stronger but it seems I don't have enough bandwidth because when I try to watch live tv on my iPad or iPhone the picture keeps freezing. Any help? I have the Comcast supplied modem and router.
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Wifi signal strength

Wi-fi extenders do not work well generally and more so for streaming video, and are not recommended.

Instead a powerline extender unit like this from Netgear connects directly to one of the LAN ports on the gateway, and the other end goes into a AC outlet in a remote room.  This unit gives you both ethernet ports and a dual band wi-fi extender in the room or area you need a stronger faster connection.

http://netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/XWNB5201.aspx

These units work well for extending your home network for streaming and stronger wi-fi.

Frequent Visitor

Works better. Thanks
Regular Contributor

JayInAlg wrote:

Wi-fi extenders do not work well generally and more so for streaming video, and are not recommended.

Instead a powerline extender unit like this from Netgear connects directly to one of the LAN ports on the gateway, and the other end goes into a AC outlet in a remote room.  This unit gives you both ethernet ports and a dual band wi-fi extender in the room or area you need a stronger faster connection.

These units work well for extending your home network for streaming and stronger wi-fi.

Would this type of powerline extender unit also work when experiencing poor wifi signal within the same room? In my case I only get full wifi signal when my wireless device in very near (almost touching) the modem, within the same room

Silver Problem Solver

Rocky3rd wrote:

JayInAlg wrote:

Would this type of powerline extender unit also work when experiencing poor wifi signal within the same room? In my case I only get full wifi signal when my wireless device in very near (almost touching) the modem, within the same room

I couldn't get a good wifi signal in three of my bedrooms.  I put 500 powerline adapters in and had my children plug their laptops into them and they have a good clean uninterupted connection, just like my laptop next to my gateway.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

RobertWy wrote:

Rocky3rd wrote:

JayInAlg wrote:

I couldn't get a good wifi signal in three of my bedrooms.  I put 500 powerline adapters in and had my children plug their laptops into them and they have a good clean uninterupted connection, just like my laptop next to my gateway.

But that means that you still have to plug ethernet wires to your devices...The whole point of having wireless connection is that I dont have to constantly rely on the ethernet cable to get reception on my laptop and mobile devices
Enter a body

Silver Problem Solver

Rocky3rd wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

Rocky3rd wrote:

JayInAlg wrote:

But that means that you still have to plug ethernet wires to your devices...The whole point of having wireless connection is that I dont have to constantly rely on the ethernet cable to get reception on my laptop and mobile devices
Enter a body

I fixed that problem by putting in an Apple Airport Express off an ethernet connection that I ran into one bedroom.  I'm using it as a bridge to my DPC3941T.  Now my teenagers can use either an ethernet connection to their laptops or wifi with their phones.

Because I have so many kids in the house, wifi becomes too slow to use for many things like Netflix.  The kids put up with the wire to get streaming.  Even surfing the web is problematic.

I just had to do what it took to provide enough bandwidth for the usage I was seeing.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

I fixed that problem by putting in an Apple Airport Express off an ethernet connection that I ran into one bedroom.  I'm using it as a bridge to my DPC3941T.  Now my teenagers can use either an ethernet connection to their laptops or wifi with their phones.

Because I have so many kids in the house, wifi becomes too slow to use for many things like Netflix.  The kids put up with the wire to get streaming.  Even surfing the web is problematic.

I just had to do what it took to provide enough bandwidth for the usage I was seeing.

That sounds like the smart thing to do, especially with mutliple devices

Expert

Total bandwidth capacity (Wifi and ethernet) is aggregated by the router anyway. Also, capacity is always governed by the modem's config file.

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Silver Problem Solver

I like the look of this:

http://www.actiontec.com/329.html

Would be overkill for me though.

Regular Contributor

I am going for this ...hopefully this will solve these wifi issues:

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/XWNB5201.aspx

Diamond Problem Solver

I install a lot of both the Netgear power line units, and the Actiontec MOCA units depending on the customer's existing coax wiring in the home and the total situation on where the signal needs to go.  I also will run ethernet if it's not too labor intensive and add a bridged wi-fi unit at the other end. 

It makes a big difference with muliptle wi-fi units for full coverage in larger or older homes.

You should be happy with either type of extender.

Frequent Visitor

Do you recommend at MoCA adapter like Actiontec, or a powerline adapter?  

I have a Comcast supplied gateway on the 2nd floor, and wifi strength is poor to the Xbox Ones in the basement (in two different rooms.  Teenage brothers.  Don't ask.).  I think some sort of extender will solve the problem, but I don't know which one.  Thanks!

Diamond Problem Solver

Powerline is a lot simpler and works well in most newer homes.  Older wiring can affect the performance.  MOCA can be difficult to install and the coax cabling in the home must be home run to a central splitter.

See Netgear's line of power line extenders.  Some models have a wi-fi extender in addition to the ethernet ports.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/

Frequent Visitor

Thanks. I also have a cable connection in the basement for another TV, but if I move the gateway (and Nighthawk router) down there, we have poor connectivity upstairs.  So powerline vs MoCA is the way to go?

Diamond Problem Solver

They each have their advantage as each house is wired differently.  Powerline is quick and easy, but purchase from someone local in case you need to return it.

New Poster

If you have a weak wifi signal from a modem/router from Comcast and you get a fast connection when your wired to the device try this.  I could be one foot away and have almost no signal.  Logon to the router and change the wifi signal channel.  Do a speed test with each channel and find the fastest.  The Service Rep may say you don't need to do this but it works better than the "Auto" setting.  Don't expect to get full speed but I can go from dialup speed to 50 meg plus depending on the channel.