Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Wifi signal bad on 2nd floor of house

New Poster

Wifi signal bad on 2nd floor of house

We have Blast internet & a CISCO DPC3941T router in our home.  The wifi signal is ok on the main floor, but not usable on the 2nd floor at all.  We got a wifi extender that helps, but is still not good enough to stream tv upstairs.  What are our options to fix this problem?  Also, we don't have voice/phone service through Comcast anymore so we don't need this combo modem anymore.

Expert

Re: Wifi signal bad on 2nd floor of house

Perhaps powerline ethernet adapters or MoCA adapters may provide a solution for you. You can Google them for more info.

New Poster

For the powerline ethernet adapters, could I plug in another router to turn it into an access point for upstairs wifi?  (sorry I'm new to all this stuff and not sure exactly how it works!)

Expert

If the TV upstairs has an ethernet port, you would plug the TV directly in to the powerline adapter with an ethernet cable.

New Poster

I'm not sure they do since they aren't smart tv's.  But also for using an ipad/phone upstairs is why I was asking about using another router for getting a better wifi signal upstairs.

Expert

Yes. You could use another router upstairs. It would need to be in "bridge mode"

New Poster

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction!

Expert

Good luck !

Frequent Visitor

Did you use another router upstairs and did it work? Granddaughter quarters on 2nd floor. Has constant trouble with slow and dropped internet.