Community Forum

Wifi not working with laptop but fine with other devices

Regular Visitor

Wifi not working with laptop but fine with other devices

Hi

my wifi connection does not work with my laptop but it is fine with other devices at home(tablet & smart phone). I took the laptop to office and the wifi works there with no problem.

what could be the problem and how can i fix it.

Thanks

J_JNR11

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Wifi not working with laptop but fine with other devices

Sounds like your laptop is being blocked by your router.

Can you log in to your router and go into parental controls and see if the laptop is being blocked by its MAC address.

New Poster

I have the same problem I have 2 laptops, my can connect to wifi just fine, but my brother's laptop can't connect to wifi, when I connect his laptop, it shows no internet access with the yellow triangle, but my laptop can connect to wifi.

How do I log in to my modem?

I set it up by plug it in and connect the cable, thats it, i never had to log in to modem

what could possibly be the problem, I had tried removing my wirless adaptor from the unworking laptop and reconnect it but its still not working

plz help thanks

Regular Visitor

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply.

can you please let me know the steps/procedure to follow to login to router and how to check if the laptop is blocked.

Appreciate your help.

thank you

Regular Visitor

I tried Router Login: http://10.0.0.1 but did not get the login and pwd screen.

Thanks

J_JNR11

Frequent Visitor

What is the make/model of your router?

First try these...

If that doesnt work do this:

If you are on windows 7 press the windows key and R button at the same time, a dialog should pop up, type in cmd and press Ok. After that, type ipconfig into the command box scroll up and find the default gateway ip under Wireless Network Connection. That is the ip that you have to put into your browser in order to login to your router.

To find the default username or password to your router just search your make/model on google and it should be fairly easy, usually its either

Username: admin

Password: password

Username: admin

Password: admin

Username: (leave blank)

Password: admin or password

New Poster

I had the same issue with connecting my cell phone to wifi.  It would connect but I have a low link speed so I cannot use the internet at all.  Any suggestions?

Regular Visitor

Thanks for your help.

I followed your instruction to login the router and was successful

But when I lok at the parental controls my Laptop was not in the blocked devices list.

I still continue to have the same problem i.e wifi connects to all other devices except my laptop and this laptop when taken to a diffrent wifi network gets connected.

Only the home wifi to laptop connection is the problem.

Any other solutions/help is appreciated.

Thank You

J_JNR

New Poster

Re: Wife not working with laptop but fine with other devices

I have same problem. Laptop and phone connects my son and wife's do not. I have powered off modem and router and powered back on. All devices will connect and work for a while then after a while the 2 laptops can not connect again. Power off the modem, router all devices work for while everytime I do this. Problem isn't parental controls. Any suggestions?

New Poster

just had same problem, spent hours online and tech help and no one could help ,,, so after messing everything up and than fixing what i did,,, i went online to hp because my laptop is a hp, and under support with my laptop hardwired connected i let hp check for any updates in my whole system , and found a UPDATE for wiresless card,, so i installed update and now verything works fine at this time,

New Poster

This was also my problem. Laptop worked on all wifi connections except Xfinity. Eventually it didn't work on any connection. Here is how I fixed it. Step 4 finally did it for me...

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-DNS-Server-Not-Responding-Problem

Diamond Problem Solver

18 month old dead thread locked.