Community Forum

Wifi connecting problems

Frequent Visitor

Wifi connecting problems

My phone keeps connecting to to a ssid called (XFINITY) it is a protected wifi ssid. It is not the free (xfinitywifi) that you see all the time. My phone will connect to that wifi named (XFINITY) and the free wifi at any given time. I have never connected to another protected wifi other than my own. I have the (connect to xfinity wifi when wifi not available) turned off. So it doesn't connect to the free one. I have hit the tab to forget that (XFINITY) and it will still reconnect to that signal. I have even reset that phone twice to try and stop my phone from reconnecting to it.
I will be connected to my own wifi and will check periodically to see what wifi I'm connected to and it will not be my own.
There is not a problem with my other devices. They don't loose signal or change wifi only Xfinity phones!
Has anybody else encountered this?
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Wifi connecting problems

Frequent Visitor

No it doesn't. Because I want to only use my own connection. No free hot spots no other XFINITY spots. That's why I have the app disabled and (connect to free wifi) turned off. But the xfinity phones keep connecting to these other wifi's when I am at home, at any given time. Im sick and tired of looking at my wifi connection to find out I have not been my own wifi but to something else. I know it's not the wifi because I only have problems with the xfinity phones.
Official Employee

Mobile-Informed, if you have an XFINITY Mobile customer, your device will automatically connect to XFINITY and xfinitywifi hotspots when wifi is available and activated. Your device will prioritize which wiFi networks are the strongest and connect to those first. 

XFINITY is a secured free network hotspot. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I don't think you understand. I have that feature disabled (XFINITY hot spots) . So the only one it should connect to is my own wifi. Not to mention the secured XFINITY says you need to set up a secured profile on my device in order to connect. I have never done that.

Also if it does connect to the strongest signal than my home wifi must not be very good as i am only 6 feet away when I use it.
This is quite a problem since I pay good money for wifi. Not to be connected to something else!
Official Employee

Mobile-Informed, thanks for clarifying. How did you disable the XFINITY Hotspot connections exactly? Do you mean you had the device forget the network in your network settings? 

I'd be happy to check your home wiFi signal levels to make sure they are within specifications if you send me a private message with your full name. 

Ken

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I turned off the feature (tab) that lets you connect to xfinity free hot spots on the wifi settings. I disabled all xfinity settings, signed out of xfinity apps. Turned off data in background of xfinity apps. I have reset my phone twice. I have also forgotten the the ssid. I have done everything I can to stop the connection to the free xfinity WiFi. It will still randomly connect.
I know my wifi is fine. I know how to configure my router for best signal, channel. I have no problem with other devices.
Seriously thinking about changing my account to a different provider.
Official Employee

I turned off the feature (tab) that lets you connect to xfinity free hot spots on the wifi settings. I disabled all xfinity settings, signed out of xfinity apps. Turned off data in background of xfinity apps. I have reset my phone twice. I have also forgotten the the ssid. I have done everything I can to stop the connection to the free xfinity WiFi. It will still randomly connect.
I know my wifi is fine. I know how to configure my router for best signal, channel. I have no problem with other devices.
Seriously thinking about changing my account to a different provider.

Mobile-Informed, I see thanks for those details. I'd hate to have you leave us. What device are you using? 

Frequent Visitor

I have 2 Android's and they both do the same thing. I have one lower end and one high end. I think I will have to get a WiFi ruler app. Really terrible that I have to download a app to get these phone's to stay on my wifi.
Official Employee

I have 2 Android's and they both do the same thing. I have one lower end and one high end. I think I will have to get a WiFi ruler app. Really terrible that I have to download a app to get these phone's to stay on my wifi.

Mobile-Informed, OK. Are the androids XFINITY Mobile devices? 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Well, yes they are.
But before you tell me about them connecting to the free hot spots read the above post's.
Official Employee

Got it. Have you reached out to XFINITY Mobile yet regarding this issue? If this feature can't be disabled via backend provisioning, we may be able to replace the device altogether via the device warranty. 

Ken