Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Wifi and phone in a garage

New Poster

Wifi and phone in a garage

I have an unattached metal garage and was wondering what I have to do to get phone and wifi there. We have Xfinity in the house but the signal isn't available inside the garage. Any ideas are apreciated. 

Expert

Re: Wifi and phone in a garage

FWIW, even if the WiFi signal is strong enough for the internet service, you can't get their phone service in there without a hardwired phone cord from the gateway device going in to there.

Official Employee

Hello @drmopar1. You can run an Ethernet and telephone cord from your in-home wireless gateway, through conduit to the garage. I would urge extreme caution and suggest hiring an independent contractor to do the job to ensure the wiring is safely protected and conduit is laid in a safe, weatherproof manner. Once in the garage you can setup a standalone wireless router to create your own WiFi network. This just an idea, not a service Comcast installers could perform. 

Please let us know if you have any further questions. 

Expert

OP. FYI. If you run a stand-alone router in the garage from an ethernet cable that is connected to a combination gateway device in the house, and the gateway is not in *bridge mode*, you are cascading 2 routing devices which results in an undesirable "double NAT" condition on your home network.

Google "double NAT" for info about it's potential pitfalls.

You should connect a WiFi repeater / extender in the garage for your WiFi needs, not a stand-alone router.

Official Employee

Thanks for clarifying and adding the additional information, EG.

As you can see @drmopar1. There are many options. 

Expert

No prob Joe. HAPPY HOLIDAYS !! Smiley Happy