Community Forum

Wifi Unable to Connect To Ethernet Devices

Frequent Visitor

Wifi Unable to Connect To Ethernet Devices

Hello, I tried Googling for an answer, but couldn't find what I was looking for so figured I would ask here. 

I seem to be unable to get my wifi devices (e.g. my phone, my tablet) to connect to my ethernet devices (e.g. my computer) via the lan. 

An example of the issue I have is I have a PLEX server on my computer that I use to watch anime, my DVD library, and various other video clips. I can access the server fine on my other ethernet connected device (Samsung SmartTV), but not from my phone or my tablet. If I disconnect from wifi, I can connect via the cellular network with no problem.

I can connect to other wifi devices fine (e.g. can cast to Chromecast from my phone or tablet with no problem), and can even connect to wifi devices from my ethernet computer (can chromecast from chome browser). 

I wasn't sure if there is a setting in the router I am not aware of that's blocking the wifi network from interacting with the ethernet network or not. Any advise would be great! Thanks.

Equipment: Xfinity Gateway Model # TG3482G

Official Employee

Re: Wifi Unable to Connect To Ethernet Devices

Hi ewink77, I can help look through the issue. We can play around with the Xfi app, which may have some options for you. Do you have that downloaded? You have reached the right play for help! 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Hi @ComcastMartin I did not have that app installed (just the main Xfinity app), but I have it installed now and am signed in to it. 

Official Employee

@ewink77

Did the devices show up on the app? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

@ComcastMartin I apologize for the delay in replying. I don't seem to be getting the email notifications regarding replies. 

I have five devices connected to the network, three wifi and two ethernet. All of them are showing connected via the xfi app. Just for fun I tried assigning my cell phone, tablet, and computer to the same user to see if that helped and it did not. I also activated the DMZ for my computer, and that did not work. 

Official Employee

Hello ewink77, thank you for your reply.  Do you have another router attached to your gateway by chance?

Thank you 

Frequent Visitor

I do not. 

I have my computer and my smart TV connected to the ethernet ports, and everything else connects via wifi. 

Official Employee

ewink77 wrote: 

I do not. 

I have my computer and my smart TV connected to the ethernet ports, and everything else connects via wifi. 

Are you using separate Ethernet cables when the devices are plugged in or are they sharing the same cable? It sounds like a setting within your equipment that needs to be enabled but we want to rule out the Ethernet cable being the cause of the problem. 

Frequent Visitor

They are seperate ethernet cables. The computer is plugged into port 1 and the TV into port 2.

Silver Problem Solver

@ewink77 wrote:

They are seperate ethernet cables. The computer is plugged into port 1 and the TV into port 2.

It is possible the second ethernet port is disabled.  You should be able to see this if you log into the modem.LAN Ethernet-2.jpg

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Can't see the pic..

[Edit] Can see it now.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy wrote:

@ewink77 wrote:

It is possible the second ethernet port is disabled.  You should be able to see this if you log into the modem.

No, they are both working. The TV (attached to port 2) can connect to the internet and has no issues connecting to the server on my computer (attached to port 1). 

Official Employee

I'd like to investigate this further on my end. Can you send me a private message with your first and last name? To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message.  

Official Employee

Hi @ewink77

I hope all is well. I was not able to confirm whether or not you are still having issues in our private message. If you are still in need of assistance, please reach out and I'd be happy to continue assisting you.