Community Forum

Wifi Dropping repeatedly

New Poster

Wifi Dropping repeatedly

Several months ago my family started experiencing repeated wifi drops.  This was new after having no such problems before and hasnt gone away despite me restarting the modem several times.  The device is a Cisco DPC3941T.  I have checked the admin interface and dont see any way to upgrade software or firmware, so have not pursued that.  Is the software upgraded automatically?  Perhaps a recent update introduced a problem? 

I have searched these forums and found a variety of people complaining about chronic wifi drops but have not found a solution.  Not desperate enough yet to call customer service based on past experience.  I have some IT skills and troubleshooting capabilities, if some hints can be provided regarding this equipment and options I may not be seeing.  What help can i get here?

Thank you.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Wifi Dropping repeatedly

@kncouch wrote:

Several months ago my family started experiencing repeated wifi drops.  This was new after having no such problems before and hasnt gone away despite me restarting the modem several times.  The device is a Cisco DPC3941T.  I have checked the admin interface and dont see any way to upgrade software or firmware, so have not pursued that.  Is the software upgraded automatically?  Perhaps a recent update introduced a problem? 

I have searched these forums and found a variety of people complaining about chronic wifi drops but have not found a solution.  Not desperate enough yet to call customer service based on past experience.  I have some IT skills and troubleshooting capabilities, if some hints can be provided regarding this equipment and options I may not be seeing.  What help can i get here?

Thank you.

My home was built in 1950 and the walls are not conducive for good wifi; I solved the issue by purchasing the Orbi System and my wifi is almost always working now.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@kncouch wrote:

Several months ago my family started experiencing repeated wifi drops. 

For a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the 3941T with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

I have checked the admin interface and dont see any way to upgrade software or firmware, so have not pursued that.  Is the software upgraded automatically?  

Yes. Comcast updates the firmware load automatically.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

My home was built in 1903.  The walls havent changed recently, nor has my router, but I started getting drops.

New Poster

No drops when wired.

New Poster

So does Comcast monitor these forums?  Is this a way to get some tips or do i have to subject myself to customer service over the phone?

Expert

Are you the original poster because the forum name is different ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi there, Kncouch. I would love to help you out. I can take a better look at your modem from inside your account. Can you please private message me your full name? Thank you for posting to our forums. 
To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMartin" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Also, Couchsurfer, if you are the same user as above or not, I can help you too. Just send me a private message. Once we get a solution, or what happened, we can post it back here. Smiley Happy

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

kncouch and couchsurfer are the same person.  Not sure how i ended up with two different identities. I tried finding the send a message feature after navigating to your profile.  Cant find it.  I am using MS Edge browser, does that only work in certain browsers?

Silver Problem Solver

@Couchsurfer wrote:

kncouch and couchsurfer are the same person.  Not sure how i ended up with two different identities. I tried finding the send a message feature after navigating to your profile.  Cant find it.  I am using MS Edge browser, does that only work in certain browsers?

The send a message will appear if you are logged in with the credentials you set up for your Forum account.

And it is sometimes difficult to see in the Profile.  Here is a picture I saved:Send a message-3.jpb.jpg

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Hey @Couchsurfer! Thanks for clarifying. I'd be more than happy to continue looking into this if you're still having internet problems. After logging into your forums account, were you able to locate the "Send a message" button? If so, send me a PM and we can go from there.  

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Yes I am signed in.

No I do not have the send message button.

This insert image popup doesnt seem to work on Windows Edge browser or i would show you.

Valued Contributor

I can see the send message button when logged in withe the Edge browser on a Windows 10 PC

Official Employee

Couchsurfer, thank you so much for your patience. You should be set to send a PM now, we made some changes on our end. Let me know if you're still having these issues!