Community Forum

WiFi very slow .. Comcast can't fix it .. here is what happened >

New Poster

WiFi very slow .. Comcast can't fix it .. here is what happened >

I am on my 3rd Xfinity router / modem box, and still have very slow internet download speed.

My system is a Dell Inspiron 620 desktop computer running Windows 7 and IE 11. The Net Card is a Atheros 1502 that is only capable of 2.4GHz band .... (it's not a dual band with 5.0GHz capability)

Since I have the Blast 75Mbps internet service from Comcast, I used to always get download speeds of around 80-85Mbps. About 2 months ago, that speed would slowly drop down to 40Mbps. However, I could fix this slow internet speed by disconnect the power cord to the router / modem ... then re-connect it, and I would go back to 80Mbps again. About once a week I would heve to do this to get my 80Mbps speed back.

Well, I got tired of reseting the box every week, so I called Comcast and they told me to exchange my router / modem box for a new one. After I installed the new box and calling Comcast to have them activate it, now I only get 40Mbps ... and it never goes up even after I reset the box by disconnecting the power to it.

So, I have had the Comcast tech guys out at my house 2 times already with no fix. They even switched out the box for another new one, but that don't help either.

1. They hard wired my computer just to see how that worked ... great, I got 85Mbps

2. Then they did a speed test using there mobile i-Pad ... They got 85Mbps when doing a speed check using the 5.0GHz band ... but just like me, they only got about 38Mbps download speed when using the 2.4GHz band.

I am thinking that there is something wrong with these internet boxes they keep giving me ... Why do they only give me 40Mbps (or less) download speed when using the 2.4 band, but the box is putting out over 80Mbps using the 5.0GHz band? (and my box is in the same room, and only 6' away from my computer).

As I said in the start of this post, I used to get 80 or more speed out of my old Comcast router / modem box ... but now, I can never get more that 40.

I just can't see how there is anything wrong with my equipment ... If they can't fix this problem, the only thing I can think of is to go out and buy a 'Dual Mode' Net card that is capable of using the 5.0GHz band (I know that the Router / Modem box is working good on that band).

Thanks for taking the time to read all this Smiley Happy

Ron

Expert

Re: WiFi very slow .. Comcast can't fix it .. here is what happened >

The 2.4 band may now be very congested with other WiFi users in your local neighborhood. This would mess up your speeds. Have you tried changing the WiFi channel in the 2.4 band to another one (channels 1,6, or 11) ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

"The 2.4 band may now be very congested with other WiFi users in your local neighborhood. This would mess up your speeds. Have you tried changing the WiFi channel in the 2.4 band to another one (channels 1,6, or 11)" ?

_________________________________________________Thanks for the fast reply. I have no idea how to switch channels such as 1,6 or channel 11.

New Poster

BTW .... I have done a speed test at 3 in the morning ... All it will now give me is 40 download speed.

Again, this all happened the day I replaced the original modem / router box.

And all these new boxes are the same as the box I took to Comcast and exchanged in the first place a couple of days ago.

Expert

Turbo6ta wrote:

I have no idea how to switch channels such as 1,6 or channel 11.

See this;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/change-wifi-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi/

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Expert

Also, your 1502 adapter is an older one. Upgrading to a more modern one with more horsepower couldn't hurt. You can look in to dual band USB WiFi adapters.

New Poster

EG ....

You have been real helpful to me, and I really appreciate it.

I tried to get on that website you gave me in order to change to a different channel, but it would not take my username, so I called Comcast customer service to see if they could help me with a username. I was lucky and talked to a guy here in the US instead of someone working from a call center in the Philippines.

Anyway, he could not help me with a username, but he told me that changing the channel would more than likely not increase my internet speed.

The problem is that modem / router box that I have now looks like the one that I turned in for this new one, but he said it's newer and different ... He said these new boxes will only give about 40 download speed (unlike the box I turned in) when used in the 2.4 mode. He said that if I wanted to get back my 80-85 speed, I would need to replace the wifi card in my computer to a 'dual mode' ... that would then operate at 5.0 and fix my problem.

Now I wish I had my old wifi box back!

Ron,

New Poster

I wonder if this wifi card will work in my Dell Inspiron 620?

[URL]http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/accessories/apd/8tf1d?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=8TF1D&cid=298721...]

The only problem I see is that this card is a PCI Express "Half Mini" Card. I am thinking that my computer don't take a Half-Mini (and I don't want to have to use some knid of adapter).

The card that is in it now is a Dell / Atheros 1502 802.11 b/g/n

Expert

Turbo6ta wrote:

I tried to get on that website you gave me in order to change to a different channel, but it would not take my username, so I called Comcast customer service to see if they could help me with a username. I was lucky and talked to a guy here in the US instead of someone working from a call center in the Philippines.

The default username for access to the gateway's user interface pages is admin and the default password is password

Anyway, he could not help me with a username, but he told me that changing the channel would more than likely not increase my internet speed.

No one can know that for certain until it is tried.

He said that if I wanted to get back my 80-85 speed, I would need to replace the wifi card in my computer to a 'dual mode' ... that would then operate at 5.0 and fix my problem.

That is plausible as I suggested.

Expert

FWIW, these are easier to use;

https://www.google.com/search?q=dual+band+usb+wifi+adapters&oq=dual+band+usb+wifi+adapters&aqs=chrom...

New Poster

Okie Dokie !

So, with one of those, I just pop it into an available USB port and that's it ... no removing parts from in back of the computer tower?

Again, I am very happy you are knowledgeable and helpful at the same time

Expert

Turbo6ta wrote:

So, with one of those, I just pop it into an available USB port and that's it ... no removing parts from in back of the computer tower?

Right. Easy peasy !

Again, I am very happy you are knowledgeable and helpful at the same time

My pleasure ! It's why I lurk ! Smiley Happy