Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

WiFi randomly goes to limited connection

Frequent Visitor

WiFi randomly goes to limited connection

This had happened to me maybe a month and a half ago where at random intervals anywhere from 30 seconds to 4 hours my internet connection would randomly go to limited. This was solved right away by disconnecting and reconnecting to the wireless network but would inevitably show up again. Well, after that month and a half span of perfectly fine connections it has started again. This is incredibly inconvenient and is constantly interrupting my work and leisure both so any help would be greatly appreciated. 

New Poster

Re: WiFi randomly goes to limited connection

Hi,

Since last couple of days, I am facing lot of issues with my internet connection. It frequently gets disconnected, goes to limited connection. Any one facing similar issues.

New Poster

I'm having the same problem.
New Poster

Hello, I have had this same issue every day for months.
New Poster

I was having the same problem!  Called Comcast several times, finally last night they connected me to the Wi-Fi technicians who were great, they said it had something to do with my IPhones.  I gave them remote access to my computer, he made some changes to my settings and my connection is fine now.  Believe it or not even my iphone works better.  Here is the number if anyone is interested: 801-657-3754.

Frequent Visitor

I know some engineers at ARRIS, and they tell me it's the gateway. ARRIS has informed Comcast of this issue, but Comcast has obviously chosen to ignore the warning.
New Poster

Ever since switching to the Arris modem several months ago we have had random outages.  It will be on for 2-5 minutes and off for 2-5 minutes.

New Poster

Sounds too simple, but here's how I fixed my connection.

unplug the power to your modem, then disconnect the cable wire from the back of the modem.  Let it sit disconnected for 5 minutes.  Then reconnect the cable wire and then plug back in the power.

It worked for me...

New Poster

Abysmal Wifi Speed when paying for Blast+

Has anyone else experienced of the same issue? For the past 2 to 3 months my blast plus Internet Wi-Fi signal has been fluctuating between 15 MB per second and 5 MB per second when I am paying for 50 MB per second. I have restarted the router, I have unplugged and reset the router, and nothing seems to help. The ARRIS modem/wireless router that Comcast has provided me should at least be able to put forth the 50 MB per second that I am paying for since it is using wireless N tech which supports up to 300 MB per second in speed. I live in a one bedroom apartment and currently I am right next to my router and achieving a horrible 11 MB per second Internet Wi-Fi speed. I would imagine that many of you out there or having the same issues and many have no other choice since this provider has created a monopoly in your region as it has in mine. I, literally have no alternative to Comcast Internet in my apartment unit. Like many of you I simply have put up with poor service and even poorer customer service since I have no alternative. If you feel like I do about your service, or have had a similar experience, please add your thoughts below.
Frequent Visitor

I had spoken online to a representative and they sent a refresh signal to my gateway saying that should solve my problem. The problem persists so any other fixes would be appreciated.

New Poster

Call this number: 801-657-3754, you can speak to a Wi-Fi technician, they helped me out and I haven't had any issues since.

Frequent Visitor

At this point I have spoken to both an online representative and called the number for the technician that I had been told about. I am still having these disconnection issues. I thought that maybe it was my wireless card but I have tested my connection on multiple networks for long periods of time since then with absolutely no dropped internet. I have even tested it at a friend's who has the technicolor tc8305c like I do as well and it didn't drop. Considering how much I pay a month for this service this is getting a bit ridiculous.

New Poster

If I had an option, I would switch to a different ISP at this point.

My home wireless network was working without a hitch until I changed to the wireless Gateway sent to me by Comcast. I believe the notification I received about this indicated that with it I would be able to enjoy the higher speed my performance tier was going to.

After installing, I continually had slow speeds until I found a post saying the default security settings on the gateway caused serious speed problems while further noting that Comcast guarantees internet speed only for a wired connection. Checking the Intel site (I have an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200 adapter), I find my card does not support the default settings on the gateway but requires WPA2-AES to use 802.11n.

Changed my security settings and internet speed seemingly returned to what I'd been used to, but I still have the 'Limited access' problem described here. It predictably occurs within 5 minutes every time I wake my computer.

So now I've spent about 4 hours trying to get my WiFi computer connection back to where it was before installing the 'upgrade'. 

I'm going to try a couple more things, but will next look into buying my own gateway rather than renting the junk sent to me by Comcast,

(Please excuse the rant- very frustrated)

Frequent Visitor

After talking to the technician on the phone and him working remotely on my gateway the speeds have been great because I was getting sub 1Mbs speeds for awhile, however, the connectivity issue has remained. I've tried most everything I can think of short of buying a 50ft ethernet cable to run to my room or buying a whole new router and modem to replace the gateway (too expensive so that one isn't going to happen). It's a shame because the people I have talked to have earnestly tried to solve my problem.

Frequent Visitor

We are continually having the same problem, our main computer is erthenet cable connected does fine, our laptops are continually getting "LIMITED" or losing connection on our WIFI connection. Pages will not load or we will get a blank page all together with those infamous words"Web Page unavailable check internet connection we wait a few minutes disconnect from the home wifi network reconnect and it is back up for a short period our download & upload speeds are ok just doing it with our wifi. This is getting old in a hurry

Frequent Visitor

If your gateway is like mine, you are broadcasting TWO SSIDs - your private one, and "xfinitywifi". Any Comcast customer can log into your gateway with their Comcast credentials. And while Comcast says they limit the bandwidth available to this "public" hot spot, my service straightened out after I deactivated it.

Log in to your account at Comcast.net, then select "Users & Preferences". You can deactivate the public hot spot from that page.
Frequent Visitor

The hotspot thing was something I had noticed a while ago but thanks for sharing regardless, it may be helpful for anyone else who may read this forum post.

New Poster

I have the same problem. My computer connected with the ethernet cable is doing fine and the room where the router is the wifi does ok but everywhere else in my house nothing works at all.

Frequent Visitor

This seems to be a very common problem and honestly with how long this has lasted they aren't giving me many options besides switching my ISP. I am not paying the rather large amount I do a month for a bad wireless connection.

New Poster

As noted above, I dug into my Device Manager and found I have an Intel wireless card. From their site I downloaded a utility leading to me updating the driver for the card. So far, about 24 hours, I have not had the limited access issue.

I still am frustrated that the device sent me by Comcast precipitated all this hassle.

Frequent Visitor

Sadly updating my wireless card's drivers has not helped me. I thought perhaps that could have been the issue but after updating to the latest version and even speaking to Intel techs about it nothing has helped.

Frequent Visitor

If y'all haven't disabled the "xfinitywifi" hot spot, at least try that. It fixed my problem, and that of several of my neighbors.
Contributor

I tried everything listed on this thread including talking with the WiFi tech support which didn't know anything about this issue so they were not much help.