Community Forum

WiFi radio signal stops several times/day - no solution

Frequent Visitor

WiFi radio signal stops several times/day - no solution

I'm in a brand-new construction home, with Xfinity Internet/TV/phone.

Several times/day, the wifi signal from the gateway simply goes away...TV still works, computers cabled into the gateway still work, but my cellphone can't see the SSID and all the wifi-connected devices lose connection (including my xPods).

Within about 5 minutes, my cellphone can see the SSID again and starts trying to connect.  There's usually an authentication error, then a "we'll reconnect when the signal's better", then it connects.  Within 10 or 15 minutes, the xPods are back and everything is happy.

I've been on the phone with tech support multiple times.  One tried to tell me it was caused by 'older' devices on the wi-fi, and suggested that maybe I should buy my own gateway (!!).  A tech that visited said I should return the gateway for a new one.   I've done the power off/on, I've done the factory reset, they've sent a reset signal...nothing seems to help.  The #1 critical piece of information is that I don't lose internet...the two computers that are cabled into the gateway never lose connectivity.  The #2 critical piece of information is that the SSID beacon goes away...my cellphone can't find my wifi network for the few minutes it is down.

So, it seems that the gateway actually stops broadcasting a wifi signal.  This is driving me crazy...and I'm fed up with calling support (6 or 7 times now) and getting a different story every time.  Anyone else out there having a problem like this?

Frequent Visitor

Re: WiFi radio signal stops several times/day - no solution

Looking into things, I may decide to get my own modem.  My wife still uses a land line, so looking at the NetGear CM1150V, then adding an Orbi wifi router and a satellite or two.  Expensive, but I'm tearing out what little hair I have left over this wifi issue.

Contributor

If you are using a Comcast device, I would call Comcast support and have them address the issue. I prefer and have my own modem and separate router. Over time it is cheaper and having separate devices, makes debugging issues easier. When dropping a connection with separate devices, you bypass the router by connecting direct to the modem and see if you still have an issue. If so, it is the modem or the ISP (Comcast). Otherwise it is in the router, so you debug it.  

Expert

Some tips for improving WiFi performance;

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/10-ways-you-might-be-killing-your-home-wi-fi-signal

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Improve-Your-Wireless-Gateway-Home-Network/td-p/26276...

There are other options. Google for WiFi repeaters / range extenders, WiFi mesh systems / pods.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hello @whereupon, thanks for reaching out to our Forums! I'm sorry to hear about this Wi-Fi connection issue you're experiencing and I hope the information @EG provided, was helpful! I can definitely see how this could be both frustrating and inconvenient. I would be more than happy to further look into and assist you with this on my end. Can you please send me a private message including the full name as it appears on the account and your full name if different?

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAmira” and click “send a message". 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@whereupon, I never received a private message from you or heard back from you on here, so I will be locking this thread. Please be sure to send me a PM if you still need assistance with this Wi-Fi connection concern. Please create a new Public post for any new issues or concerns, we're here to help. Thank you and we appreciate you being the best part of Comcast. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.