Community Forum

WiFi drops over and over

New Poster

WiFi drops over and over

My cable modem will "drop" wifi devices at ramdom. not 1 device but cell phones netboxes and roku's. We don't "over use" the bandwidth, only one or two at any one time. My new Note3 works in every location EXCEPT my home. Will keep wifi for 30 sec's and drop it, will not stay connected for over 5 mins ever. My home is NOT very large, and I have experience with tech, this is a new one on me....

Help? I don't want to pay 75$ for some guy to not fix it.

Frequent Visitor

Re: WiFi drops over and over

I am a long time Comcast subscriber.  We have been having this same problem since early December.  I have spent HOURS on the phone trying to reach and work with customer service.  We had one service call.  The technician replaced all of the cables running from the central cable source to our home and in our home due to slow speeds.  There was little improvement.  Now we are back to very unstable wifi.  There was no charge as it was their issue.

I chatted on line with a tech two days ago and she assured me that everything is "fine".  Our speeds are well within the guaranteed range for the tier that I am on- "Blast" which provided an "average" of 20Mbps download speed.

We are unable to maintain a wifi connection with laptops, cell phones or ipad, let alone stream a movie!!!  We are resorting to our Verizon jetpack to get work done.  We are not heavy users- mostly email etc with an occ Netflix movie streamed.

With research I am discovering that the internet signal we are receiving is VERY unstable and the wifi signal speed is a fraction of the internet speed.  With the majority of tests, the internet download speed is 56Mbps while the wifi download speed is 6.87 Mbps.  The ratio stays about the same.

Why is this happening?  Are there so many comcast users in our area that it makes the signal unstable?  Are they throttling the signal?  I am paying a large monthly fee and DO NOT think we should have to pay more to have a stable signal that is sufficient for reliable wifi.

Can anyone out there help or provide suggestions?

Frequent Visitor

WiFi drops over and over

I do have the same problem, I had  my own modem, the tech. Told me  that the problem, was probably  my modem, then he change it with a comcast one. Well it work for I little while, I would say a couple of days, now it's doing it again. Every time I call the tech support, they just refresh the signal, that's the only solution apparently they know. I just like you, I'm getting  fustraded and I'm considering get rid of Comcast, because they not only can't fix it, but I'm paying even more because of the rental fee for their modem. Yesterday, I call them again, they did the same, (refresh the signal) but this time they gave me a phone # for WI FI tech support. I just don't get it, do they have separated support for WI FI and LAN? Any way I have not called yet, I will call them tomorrow. The phone # is 1-855--308-9452. I'll let you know how it go, Keep me posted if you figure some thing.

New Poster

Thanks, on wifi chat with a "Richard" right now!

Frequent Visitor

I will add to the list of frustrated and unhappy users whose wi-fi randomly drops and then re-establishes.  I started having issues in early December when the old Comcast supplied Netgear wireless router simply quit working: the online Tech guy had me go through a test and the router did not restart at which point he told me that Comcast would replace the failed unit.  So off to the Comcast Service Center I went (and this was barely 2 months after another visit to replace our Comcast supplied cable-dvr box after it, too, failed) and I was provided with a replacement Gateway TC8305c device that took the place of both the old (and still functioning) cable modem and the failed Netgear router.  And since then we have experienced wi-fi fails on our three wireless laptops, our Kindle Fire, and my smart-phone (i.e., everything that we depend on Comcast for our wi-fi).  Our old hardwired desktop has also experienced more "cannot load web page" regardless of the browser that we are using.  So:  is it a crappy piece of hardware (i.e., I could tell that the "new" Gateway device was actually a refurb, as was the cable-dvr box that we received earlier) or is it a problem with the incoming Comcast feed (i.e., we have had more than a few service outages for both internet and TV in the last couple of months).

I have reset the Gateway at least a 1/2-dozen times and Comcast has logged on and refreshed the signal once as well.  And the wi-fi fails are occurring with ever increasing frequency.

Not at all happy with this.

New Poster

CHAT TRANSCRIPT:

Top of Form

Melissa: Thank you for contacting the Comcast Accessibility Center of Excellence. My name is Melissa. How may I assist you today?

Melissa: Welcome to Comcast's Support Center for customers with disabilities. My name is Melissa. How may I help you?

Bill: My Issue: My home wifi seems to work only a few minutes at a time. I will connect and use the wifi for 3-5 minutes and it drops the connection. this is with all devices, phones, bluerays and roku's. this is unacceptable. and wheres my x1/x2 boxes?

Melissa: I am sorry that your connection is intermittent. I will need to transfer you to the wifi department for further assistance.

Bill: ok

Melissa: Do you mind holding while I do that?

Bill: ok

Melissa: Please wait, while the problem is escalated to another analyst

analyst Nicolette has entered room

Waiting for response from Melissa

Nicolette: Please wait, while the problem is escalated to another analyst

Waiting for response from Nicolette

analyst Richard has entered room

Richard: Hi! Glad to have you on chat! I hope you're okay.

Bill: no # of resets help btw.

Bill: its killin my phone wifi gigs....

Richard: I understand that you internet is intermittent right now. Am I correct?

Bill: well, the wifi says "interset is slow, disconnecting" so i dont KNOW it's one or the other. I am leaning with the internet.

Bill: Help me Obe Wan your my only hope.

Richard: I apologize for the inconvenience and acknowledge the importance of having a good internet connection as I rely on it as well. Rest assured I will do everything within my means to address your concern today.

Richard: Just to set your expectations, to better assist you, I will be asking you questions regarding your concerns. Will that be okay?

Bill:  go ahead.

Richard: Thank you.

Richard: May I know the troubleshooting steps you did so far?

Bill: reset button, hard reset of the box and computer etc, had reps "send a signal" to the box and I've sacrificed a chicken

Richard: Oh my. What did you do with the chicken? haha

Bill: spread it blood on the modem and made luch with the tasty bits

Richard: Oh, lucky you already have your lunch.

Richard: Anyway, while I pull up your account, let me share to you the following features, as an internet service subscriber, you can create up to 7 email accounts. Just log in using your primary user name. You may also download Norton Security by clicking on this link: http://xfinity.com/norton/

Bill: ugh, auto scripts

Bill: commercials in chat too?

Richard: Those are good to knows, free features we have.

Richard: Maybe you can check out next time. It can be useful.'

Richard: Just to fill the gaps while I am running some tests with your equipment.

Bill: I shant be here long of this S won't work, a little fyi

Bill: I'm looking up prices for ATT while I wait.

Richard: Anyway, may I know the MAC address of your modem, that is located at the back of the modem on the sticker.

Bill: 00xxxxxx4C2

Richard: For security purposes, can you please verify to me your account number?

Bill: 095xxxxxxxx-9

Bill: http://www.lawlz.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/gopher-tech-support-have-you-tried-chewing-on-the-ca...

Bill: loses it's punch when it doesnt populate the picture...

Richard: Thank you for providing that information.

Richard: I would need to send refresh signals to your modem. This will stabilize and speed up your internet connection. I might lose you for a bit, but please stay online as I will wait for you to come back. Shall I reset your modem now?

user Bill has left room

Bill: ?

Bill: sure...

Richard: Can you please check your new speed on the link provided?http://speedtest.comcast.net

Bill: I was kicked off for a bit! couldnt do anything unless that was your reset

Bill: here are others with the same "continuity" problemshttp://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/WiFi-drops-over-and-over/m-p/1994617#M63951

Richard: Yes, that was mine.

Bill: http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/397048904.png

Bill: same asa before, ran it before...

Richard: Thank you for providing that information.

Richard: That is actually more than the speed that you are subscribed, Bill.

Richard: You are supposed to be getting 50 Mbps for the download and 10 Mbps for teh upload.

Richard: And the intermittent connection will be fixed by the refresh.

Richard: I cna guarantee you that.

Bill: OK, my Reddit peeps miss my retorts

Bill: I have many many internet points, and smell of rich mahogany

Richard: i see, anyway, the results are showing good now. And you have nothing more to worry about.

Richard: Do you have any other questions or concerns I can further assist you with aside from that?

Bill: I was assured the X1 / X2 would be availble soon. I am awaiting their arrival in my area. THATS the reason I went bak to XFin anyway. Do you know who can send them to me?

Richard: As of the moment there is no update yet as to when it will be available since there are upgrades that is being implemented.

Bill: kthxbi

Richard: But I can provide you the page where you can check the updates so that you will be the one to know if it is available.

Richard: http://www.comcast.com/x1comingsoon

Richard: That is the link for the X1 news.

Bill: pls do, you are fast becoming my very favorite Richard.

Bill: thx

Richard: You don't have to mention it. It has been a pleasure working with a valued customer like you, Bill.

I WILL POST IF IT WORKED.

New Poster

We have been having the same issue since December.  I haven't dug into Comcast yet about it but it looks like it is systemic.  We have the issue on multiple devices.  In fact, it froze up twice while I was trying to post this and I had reset my modem.....again.  4th time today so far.

Frequent Visitor

425Ranger:  thanks for posting the chat transcript.  For what its worth:  the steps that Richard performed are identical to those that Sunita peformed during a chat that I had back on Dec-27.  And guess what:  my wi-fi drops were not resolved.

I agree with Majeen6 that this looks to be systemic as all the posts to this thread indicate a December emergence of the issue.  I am suspicious that Comcast rolled out something in their network that is producing these wi-fi issues.

And Sunita pulled the same little Barnum & Bailey routine with me: http://speedtest.comcast.net is a farce as it uses the Comcast server closest to the user.  Which ensures that the Comcast burst mode is used to juice the "speed" results.  Go to speedtest.net (i.e., without the Comcast filter pre-selected) and pick a server that is not Comcast and see what the speed results are when Comcast's smoke and mirrors are eliminated;  I see a drop of at least 25-50% for both up and down when I do this.  So much for guaranteed performance.

New Poster

I have the same issue with my galaxy note 3.  The only solutions I come up with is to do a power cycle on your internet equipment. 

New Poster

Tryed 3 different independant speed testers... all in the 57M Dn and 11M up range....

Continuity is the problem. Once our devices lose the Internet signal they drop the wifi

New Poster

I was getting the same issues with mine.  what I have done is got a mid range dollar netgear rouiter.  It is not the top of the line nor it is the bottom of line.  The router model number is 

WNDR3700v4.  With this router I am hitting about 55 megs download and 12 megs upload over wireless connection. 

Frequent Visitor

- Just so I'm sure that I'm reading you right, your new WNDR3700v4 router hardware resolved your wi-fi drops in addition to providing you the great (and consistent?) up/down velocity that you quote in your post?

Frequent Visitor

425Ranger and daWoofa- those are the same steps that the chat technician ran through with me Friday pm. I am not that familiar with the technology but it does seem that this is a systemic issue for Comcast. I too am looking into AT&T if Comcast does not find a solution quickly.
I have a modem supplied by Comcast with built in WiFi. We had no problems until early December.
New Poster

We are having the same problem as well, we can only use one laptop at a time. My daughter will be on her laptop and the moment we try to get on ours the whole system will freeze. WiFi will drop over and over when we finally do get on. What can we do to resolve this issue? We pay Comcast way too much money to not be able to use our electronics at the same time.

New Poster

I am having the same issues and have had multiple calls with Comcast as I work from home and am very dependant on my Internet.  They have also not been able to resolve my issues long term since they started in December.  We are all stating December so Comcast really needs to determine what it is on their end before we all jump ship.

New Poster

Thank you, I thought this was only happening to me. We, (My family) have been with Comcast for at least 8 years.  I tried calling last night and the first person I talked to asked me for my phone number, (Besides my home number.) She said, "In case we get disconnected." 'she would call me right back'

Well that is exactly what happened except she never did call back. I waited ov 20 minutes for her to call to no avail. By the way, I have the same issue as you with WiFi. We have 4 cell phones through Comcast, , 2 Computers, 1 iPad, a PS3 and a PS4. All my TV's are High Def. (4) I tried to buy a movie to watch with my 73 year "young" Mother and the company who I bought the movie through does a speed test on my connection prior to me purchasing the movie to determine whether or not I need HDD or Streaming  I about S--- when I saw what the speed said on Playstation 4 my connection test. It was so slow I couldn't get HDD.  I never had a problem intell they cane out with this new Modem with the router inside it. We tried to watch the movie "The Heat" with Sandra Bullock

We couldn't take it.

Anyway's, I called Comcast back.  this guy couldn't evben speak proper English and then to top it off he was rude and basically full of, well, I am sure you know what I mean. at that point it was over 2 hours of explaining over and ove my problem.  All, I asked for was for someone to schedule an appointment to come to my house and fix the problem. Next, (I know) "Disconnected" again. Why do I get hung up on every time I have to call Comcast. The third person just happened to have the same lack of understanding of the English language. And though he wouldn't admit it I know it was the same guy I talked to prior.  Over 8 years and I am going out tomorow and  seeing AT&T or anyone that can give me what I pay for...... Take care, I hope your situation gets resolved.

Frequent Visitor

I have also spent hours on the phone.  Making it through the phone tree was really frustrating.  When I replied to the automated system that I did not want a follow up automated call to check on my satisfaction with the call I was disconnected.  This happened 4 times.  I finally got smart and indicated yes and entered my number.  The automated call came, asked me to rate service 1-5 (low to high)-  I entered 1, and was disconnected!  They take their customer service seriously!!! 

When I called ATT to start researching their offerings I was quickly connected with a very pleasant woman who was very knowledgeable.

I do not want to change carriers but may be forced to, as I am very dependent on reliable internet for my work as well.  Plus, is it too much to ask to be able to stream a movie when you want to???

Is anyone having the same problems using a separate modem and router?  I have the combo modem and wifi branded Xfinity- Arris TG862G.  I have no idea how much per month they are charging me for that.  Doesn't seem to be working very well....

Frequent Visitor

More searching through the forums.  Looks like the Arris is my problem!  Nice- paying rent on something that is not working...

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Comcast-Arris-TG862G-WiFi-Problems/td-p/191... 

Frequent Visitor

I spent some time yesterday afternoon trawling the Comcast forums and (surprise-surprise) wifi drops seem to be very prevalent within the Comcast universe.

I came across the same thread that Jmatus found wherein the finger of blame seems to point at the Arris hardware family.  I also found another thread that started last August (i.e.., way before our December issue start date) and it appears to point at the encryption method as the villain (see http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/WiFi-Stopped-Connecting-to-Devices/td-p/180...

Late yesterday I also spent 30 minutes on hold to have an 8 minute conversation with "Franklin" from the Comcast tech desk.  He offered two possible causes based on his experience with these wifi drop symptoms and my Comcast gateway device:
1) the old router is still attached to the cable modem (not at all my situation - both the old router and the separate cable modem were replaced by the single Comcast gateway device);
2) the gateway's wifi channel selection has to be changed from Automatic to Manual and then the user experiments with one of these channels to see which one works: 6, 11, or 1.

I also asked Franklin if using g/n mode instead of b/g/n mode could be an issue (i.e.., I had read another non-Comcast blog that spoke to older wireless devices not  reacting well with g/n-only mode); his response was "likely not" but he saw no harm in changing the mode down to b/g/n from g/n-only.

So here is what I ended up doing via my gateway's >http://10.0.0.1>Gateway>Connection>WiFi> dashboard:

1.  Changed Mode to b/g/n from g/n
2.  Changed the Channel Selection to Manual from Automatic
3.  Changed the Channel to 6 (this selection became available when Channel Selection was changed to Manual; it was greyed-out when the Channel Selection was set as Automatic)

And the wifi drops continued.  So following Franklin's suggestion I changed the Channel to 11.  And lo-and-behold the wifi drops have ceased and I am experiencing solid wifi performance across all of my wireless devices; however, that improvement has only been for the last 12 hours or so and I will therefore continue to monitor and come back to this forum thread periodically with an update (I fear that Murphy's Law will invoke its wrath upon me as soon as I hit 'post' to this message and my improved performance will revert to the wifi drop state).

I re-learned a couple of things from this:  today's technology is not one-size-fits-all regardless of what the vendors' marketing machines tell you and each user's installation has its own list of real and to-be-discovered "gotcha's".  My Comcast gateway device, for example, is essentially a computer which, like any other computer, evidently needs to be rebooted every so often to clean out the memory leaks, dangling files, and other detritus that slow down and confuse it.  So, I have set up a calendar tickler to go in every 2nd Saturday and perform the soft gateway reset regardless of whether the performance has degraded or has maintained its consistency.  Hopefully this will keep my wifi on an even keel.

Frequent Visitor

And a quick note to jnchahn: I started to investigate replacing my Comcast gateway device with the  WNDR3700v4 device that you identified but was stopped cold by the security holes of the WNDR3700v4 firmware that were identified last October:  http://www.pcworld.com/article/2057260/vulnerabilities-in-some-netgear-router-and-nas-products-open-...

I see that Netgear finally issued a firmware update last week (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24413) which tells me that the security holes have been there for some time.  Hopefully the device that you have came with this latest firmware already installed.

Another example of the sentiment that I tried to get across in my previous post:  a product or service is seldom what it seems on the surface.

Frequent Visitor

I tried daWoofa's fix posted 1/13 at noon. I had no luck with channel 6 but 11 has seemed to help some. I am still unable to stream a movie on my DVR without buffering but wireless otherwise is more stable and speed tests indicate a bit faster. Time will tell. I am still not very happy about the situation. No word from Comcast.
Frequent Visitor

Update:  my fixes from Jan-13 are holding as wifi performance has been solid for the last four days.

To Jmatus:  in re-reading my post from Jan-13 I see that I may not have completely conveyed Franklin's guidance (i.e., Franklin is the Comcast tech with whom I spoke).  He advised me that finding the best channel to work with is a trial-&-error process and that his experience with the TC8305c unit is that one should start with channel 6 and then cycle to 11 and then cycle to 1 as one of these three choices seems to resolve the dropped wifi issue; moreover, he did not eliminate continuing to cycle through the other channels as needed.

I found another Comcast forum that speaks specifically to the TC8305c gateway device: lots of complaints but there is one post that praises the device http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Technicolor-TC8305C-WARNIING-wireless-gatew...

I also determined that the TC8305c manufacturer is a French company:  www.technicolor.com.  Here is their webpage regarding the TC8305 family of devices:  http://www.technicolor.com/en/solutions-services/connected-home/modems-gateways/cable-modems-gateway....  

Lastly, here is the TC8305c Setup & User Manual that can be downloaded from what appears to be the vendor’s document library:  http://docs.technicolor.com/data/files/cm/DMS-CTC-20130228-0000.pdf.

Frequent Visitor

Have had the same problem as has others I know.  My PC is hardwired and gets good perforamance.  Our WiFi devices do not.  iMac, PC Laptop, Ipod, Ipad etc.. work ok if you are standing 5 feet from modem but as you move away the performance drops off dramatically.

A tech came out. Checked all interior and exterior connections.. all good as evidenced by the fast speed on the PC directly connected to the modem.   However he noticed the significant performance issues for WiFi.  He said that he has seen it before and that its the Xfinity Gateway modem.

I exchanged the modem for a new one and it seemed to work for awhile but now its not working.  

The suggestion by some to put the modem in bridge modem and then buying my own wireless router is not acceptable.   Sure it works but why should we have to shut down the modem that Comcast is telling us to use.   Comcasts advertises high speed connection on multiple devices thoughout the home...  that is not being delivered.

I wish I would have just kept my NetGear wireless router instead of letting a comcast rep talk me into using their wirless modem.

New Poster

I'm having the same issue with Wi-Fi dropping and it continues on a daily basis. The only one solution I have at the moment is to restart the modem and Wi-Fi gets back to normal speed again. Of course, it's very annoying, bcs I have to reestart it about 8 times per day Smiley Sad.

BTW I have brand new Motorola SURFboard eXtreme DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless-N Cable Modem and Gigabit Router (Model: SBG6580) which has been configured and reconfigured in every possible way.

I know that COMCAST making people to rent the modems from them, but unfortunately it rented equipment doesn't reslve this WiFi drop issue.

It seems to be COMCAST problem, which they don't want to admit. However, if they don't fix this problem, they will be loosing their customers, including myself.

If someone knows what exactly is going on with this Wi-Fi issue, please kindly share the information.

Thank you.  

New Poster

24 hours of this is all I can take.  Installed yesterday.  Performance only exists at the wired desktop.  Every wi-fi client is unreliable.  If a wi-fi client connects, it soon drops.  The 'recommended' security setting is the least compliant to a range of clients. Zero connections on the recommended setting.  The SSID does not even appear on clients on that setting  Moving from the 'recommended' setting up one notch allows the SSID to appear, and for clients to connect, but, only for a a few minutes.

Even worse, my previous service is still connected, so, it's easy to see the other unfortunate, deal break impact - one room NEVER connects with Blast, while that same room ALWAYS connects with my existing service.  I have a phone app that measures upload/download speed.  Just outside of that room, I get 10-12 download/6-10 upload.  Step inside that room, that falls to 0.7/0.4.  The 'weak' signal does not stay connected well enough to the devices in that room to even run a speed test. Under the current service, I get normal loads at a speed that is consistent from room to room.

I have tried some of the remedies I've seen here. I've changed channels.  I've changed the security setting.  I've moved the equipment from a low place to a higher place to an even higher place.  I've restarted the equipment.  I've restarted the clients.

This is no good if it can't cover every room.  This is no good if wi-fi clients drop.  This is no good if the first 'remedy' is to restart the modem, restart the client, disconnect the modem, etc. over and over again.  This isn't necessary with the current service.  

The promised 'up to' speeds are only available when I connect to the Comcast server.  I never get close to that 'up to' speed anywhere else.  That's not really a  make or break issue, but, the dead room, the dropping clients, ARE make or break issues.

New Poster

I'd like to add to everyone's frustration with the lack of customer service at Comcast.  The people they hire to answer calls and chats are simply there to waste your time by sending you in circles without real solution.  We have had internet issues for a few years.  And we've changed gateways and the problem still persists:  we loose wifi and internet because the gateway shuts down, but when we log into Comcast, our connection status is "everything looks good on our end!"  We reboot, we reboot and sometimes it works and most often it doesn't.  We've used less than 1 GB for the past 4 months!  For the third time, we're asking Comcast to change our gateway equipment.  And they will not send it to my office!?  We have known package theft issues in my neighborhood because we have no doorman and all packages delivered by UPS sit outside on our stoop free for the taking.  I sat on the phone and in chat rooms with Comcast for 4 hours today trying to get the new router shipped to my office!  The first 4 customer service people tried to change things in our account and kept us on hold, asked us the same questions over and over (what's your account number, what's the name on the account, what's the address on the account)  Every time, I was "escalated" to another department for solutions.  But no solution ever arrived.  I'm so frustrated that I wasted 4 hours today.  Why didn't they tell me from the beginning that the Comcast policy won't allow them to ship equipment to a location other than our service location?  When I asked where that policy was written online, no one could tell me.  But, they could tell me where the customer satisfaction gaurantee policy was posted.  Yet, that didn't help me either!  We are full paying customers of Comcast for more than 5 years (don't get me started on how many of my friends simply call up Comcast with the threat to cancel and they get their startup fees reinstated without a fight).  I just want reliable internet for the price I pay for service.  Why is that so hard at Comcast?

New Poster

I'll add my complaint to the thread.   Same timeframe... has been dropping all wireless devices since Decmember.   

I'm gonig to make one attempt to solve with Xfinity and if not... I'm cutting off my service and going elsewhere.  

Frequent Visitor

Update to my posting from Jan-17:  had to perform the soft gateway reset on my TC8305c device last Thu  i.e., 2 days before my first scheduled "every 2nd Saturday" calendar reminder. 

Our network went spasmodic right after dinner on the 23rd:  the wireless re-started its constant drop/disconnect behavior across all our devices; our web-page loading slowed to a crawl even on the hardwired desktop; and our VOiP also ceased to place calls  (i.e., we started to get the recording that "The number you dialed was rejected by the service provider.") The gateway reset seems to have addressed the issues:  since then the wireless devices have been consistently connecting and the slow web-page loading has not been evident; however, the VOiP connection issue has resurfaced a couple of times since the reset, although it seems to resolve itself within a few minutes.

Given that the slow web-page loading is happening even on the hardwired desktop and the VOiP ATA  is also hardwired I am left to wonder if my issues are with a wonky Comcast signal into our home/neighborhood (e.g., the "continuity" that 425ranger mentioned in his post of Jan-12).  I spoke with a neighbor who is an original homeowner from back in 1977 when our subdivision was developed and she tells me that she has had cable TV since the start (well before Comcast was running the show) as well as cable internet with Comcast for the past dozen-plus years.  And, she tells me that there have always been recurring patterns of performance issues but the frequency has been becoming much more frequent.  She does not have wireless or VOiP in her setup but she shares the frustration with the more frequently occurring events of her internet slowing to a crawl (she tells me that this now happens at least once or twice a week at random times) as well as her cable TV going dark for 10-20 minutes across random stations at least once a week (and this latter issue is something that my wife now tells me that she has been noticing since Christmas as well).  So I’m now w-a-g-ing that there are kinks in the coax that was buried 37yr+ years ago (e.g., somebody scuffed a cable while putting down a fence post).  Or did Comcast roll out some type of new compression that doesn’t play nice across the older copper?

I know - I'm grasping at straws but I am curious if the other contributors to this thread have aged infrastructure as well.  As a final anecdote, a colleague in the office back east (I’m in the Rocky Mountain office) constantly boasts about the fiber into his house that he signed up for with Verizon about 5 years ago.  His Verizon fios (and the Verizon-supplied wireless router/gateway) not only gives him "flawless" internet but has also allowed him to cut the cable TV cord:  he uses wireless HDMI for the netflix, you-tube, and whatever-else internet feeds that he simultaneously streams via wireless to multiple TVs in his home.  He hates coming into the office because its "commercial grade" internet is no-where near as reliable or as fast as his home setup.  Lucky buggar.  I seriously doubt that Verizon fios is coming to my neighborhood any time soon.

New Poster

We will add our voice to the same problems....  It started in december and were told it may be the age of our router (Arries) so they gave me a new one to swap... so about mid January it got so bad I swapped it out for the newer SMC.

Seemed to work for about a day then same problem - cell phones keep dropping wifi signal and I can now tell when there is a problem on my laptop as one instance its loading pages fine then a few minutes later it seems to take forever (sometimes for the same page).

We are at the point that it may be time to start looking for a differernt service provider - ATT unfortunately does not have all services up and available here in PNW yet.

So that leaves going to Centurylink (which I have heard has their own challenges) and possibly third party providers  - or splitting service amoung different companies...

It does frustrate me that Comcast has yet to acknowledge the problem exists on a wide basis - as I am sure they also monitor the message boards/forums...

Frequent Visitor

Well after a couple of month with the same problem, they finally nailed, They did not tell me, but I think it was the Modem, They replaced with a TECHNICOLOR TC8305C and problem solved, that was one week ago and has been working flawless since then.  I hope  it stay that way.  Good Luck out there guys.

New Poster

Hello Comcast !!

We are having similar problems, since moving and changing to Arris WiFi Modem/Router. Never had any problems at the old adress.

How come there is no acknowledgement or solutions offered by Comcast ?

Frequent Visitor

Just try to stay away from Arris WiFi Modem/Router, they may be the newest, but those are the worse out there, they replace it twice for me and they keep dropping the wifi over and over.

New Poster

I agree.  Why is Comcast not responding to this?  I was going to voice similar frustration for having an unreliable WiFi connection, ineffective customer service support attempts, etc.  I, too, am going to start looking for an alternative to Comcast.  They certainly have no trouble raising rates and offering sub-standard service. Not what I'm looking for in a service provider. 

New Poster

I too have had ineffective, intermittent, inconsistent wifi since I switched from ATT dsl to Comcast cable for higher speeds last September. Why did I do that! The wifi has never worked consistenly. Ever! I've spent countless hours on the phone, chatting and writing e-mails to Tom Karishniak (don't know if that's his name but he's on the website). The last and final time, I was told that if I needed help with the wifi I had to pay for it as the Comcast only supports wired tech support now. What complete bull! AT&T high speed internet is not available in my area so I have no options. This totally sucks... The dsl is just too slow. I use the internet for business, my kids use it for school and college, and we're all completely dissatisfied. I think we should file a class action lawsuit for being forced to pay a monthly fee for a modem that doesn't work. Anyone know the process for getting that started?

Frequent Visitor

OMG please help me under stand what this means. This is happening to me because of my inability to use my Bluetooth desktop, I have had to use this Ethernet. On, off, on, off. Glad I have no gun! It scares me- I have a sledge hammer!

Frequent Visitor

Sorry I have trouble with Ethernet right now, dropping on and off. Not my WiFi. I can't configure that at all! My bad.

New Poster

We also have the gateway TG852. And just like everyone else, poor service. All the devices in the house will randomly lose signal, or will disconnect because of poor signal strength. While playing Playstation, I have about a 20% chance of even finishing an online game. I have called Comcast numerous times and have logged well over 100 hrs on the phone with tech support over the last year. And still, nothing. Its pointless to even call them, because unless you are planning to PAY to get it fixed, they wont help you. Your only option is to call ARRIS or your  router manufacturer. But even then, they will tell you its nothing on thier end.

Frequent Visitor

I was told it is a virus or replicate or trogon, etc.... Norton(through Comcast) Security does not catch it nor does Microsoft Security. Hope this helps. Please let me know how you faired. Good luck, brofford1

New Poster

Well, I am glad I am not alone in this issue. We have the same problem. WIFI drops often, or is unreliable. We can't stream video via WIFI. Internet is fine IF you are hard wired directly to the device.

I have been on the chat lines with COMCAST multiple times and they do the same thing aka "REFRESH" my signal.

I have tried various configurations on my MOTOROLA Surfboard SBG6580 which I purchased solely because it is on COMCASTs preferred devices list. I also purchased a network signal booster for the house thinking that could be the problem, but NOPE.

We use PS4s for video (NETFLIX) music (PANDORA) and once the MRS goes to Sleep, Battlefield 4. But we cannot stay connected via WIFI at all. The signal drops, or the service seems to become "Disrupted". Our Android phones prompt us with an Error message that states our NETWORK SIGNAL is UNSTABLE.

It is VERY frustrating.

New Poster

man, its worse than 3g, lol

Frequent Visitor

All will soon be made right given today's news reports that Comcast is purchasing Time Warner Cable for $44billion and thereby becoming the undisputed goliath of U.S. ISP's.  With their newfound monopolistic heft (courtesy of TWC's 11m subscribers to be added to the existing Comcast 20m strong subscriber base) Comcast will now have the scale to fix all the issues that plague us. And yes,  I am being sarcastic.  We plan to downsize to a smaller abode once our last birdie leaves the nest in a couple of years and I am moving "ISP with fibre optic delivery" (i.e., not Comcast) to the top of my list of what the new neighborhood must have.

That being said, we have not had to touch/re-set our TC8305C gateway device since late January as our wireless has behaved.  But:  we have had two or three episodes of our hardwired VOiP going dead in the middle of a call at the same time as our web page loading either slowing to a crawl or freezing on both our wired and wireless devices.  These episodes resolved themselves before I could pull out the the straightened paper clip reset device which takes me back to the idea that dodgy signal delivery in to our respective homes is the root cause of the wi-fi drop issues.  I cannot see that the common denominator is the hardware given the varying brands and types of modem/router/gateway devices that have been mentioned in this thread.  The only thing that is common to all of this is the Comcast internet feed coming in through our coax.

New Poster

We have the same issue too but it started way before December as some have noted. After all the refreshes and restarts, a comcast technician added a signal\booster to one of our lines attached to one of our TV's and even though we still have drop-outs, they are not as often as they use to be. I am a data recording technician and from I have troubleshot myself (mostly checking various equipment and configurations), I am leaning toward the signal being the issue. I've been busy for a while due to medical issues but when I get a chance I am going to start looking into the signal strength and the signal quality (check for noise or dropouts). If I find anything I will post it when I can.

Frequent Visitor

All the problem is Xfinity's gateway device the Arris TG862G.  This device seems to be a disaster for Comcast.

You are better off getting your own (store bought) wifi router and having Comcast but their TG862G router into 'Bridge'  mode, so it acts simply as a cable modem - it seems to be stable in that mode.

Frequent Visitor

SalineHornet wrote:

The suggestion by some to put the modem in bridge modem and then buying my own wireless router is not acceptable.     

I realize it is unacceptable, but do you want a stable internet/wifi connection or not? 

Frequent Visitor

This is un apdate, I already have one month  with this modem and no problem whatsoever, try to keep away from Arris modem. I hope this info help you guys!

New Poster

Having had similar issues, I have just had the SMC replaced with the Arris even though I think they are basically the same thing..... Long story short, my wi-fi isn't dropping anymore. I think a big bunch of those modems were faulty from the factory.

Everyone keeps saying, 'Put it in bridge mode' then put anouther wifi router behind it. Thats great, but how does this network noob do that? Bearing in mind that once its in bridge mode, I can't get net access till I have my wifi router set up. How are the modem and router connected? What settings need to be set on the wifi router? So many questions! :-)

Is there a walkthrough for this anywhere?

New Poster

Having the same problems did the speed test and was only downloading 2mbps. I don't think comcast fully understands was the term false advertising really means. Calling them means you can drive somewhere and go shopping or to a movie because you are on hold the minute you call. Big indicator many more people are complaining. Been with Comcast way back when basic cable was 9.99/ month. Now its 200.00/month and the service sucks beyond measure. Looks like it's time to get off this titanic.tired of crashing into icebergs.

New Poster

I have a Kindle Fire HDX and I have the same problem. Try as I might, I very seldom get to finish anything I start on-line. Please do something to fix this. I have already contacted the Kindle people and all on my Kindle is good.

New Poster

Exact same issue. Seems only one device can be used at  time using wifi and the signal doesn't even make it 20 feet from my living room to my bedroom.  All devices including cell phones, computers and tablets cannot be used by one family.  If 4 people have smart phones no computers.  If 1 computer you can only have 1 smart phone maybe. I'm ready to give up the triple play and go get Uverse

New Poster

All great if your a bit techy but for me I have no idea how to get to the channels nor do I have hours upon hours to work with Comcast.  Glad it seemed to work for you. I get 1 pc on at a time with wifi or a couple of phones