Community Forum

WiFi Router Recommendations?

Frequent Visitor

WiFi Router Recommendations?

I have an ARRIS SurfBoard SBG6900-AC modem/router, but the WiFi router aspect of it does not work well, even after numerous calls to Xfinity and Arris. Since I can’t find a solution to make it work, I’m going to get a new WiFi router to connect to the modem and just disable the WiFi radios on the Arris. I don’t think I’m looking to get a new modem or combo unit.

I am wondering if anyone has recommendations of routers that would work best for my situation. We do not have cable, but rather we stream all of our tv, and we can have up to three tv’s streaming at a time. We also have four smartphones and two computers, as well as wireless printers and a google home. So a lot of devices overall with heavy emphasis on multi-device streaming. Does the ACxxxx number make a difference if my internet speed is only so fast? Would I see a benefit from getting a “AC2600” vs “AC1900” router?

I’m looking at the Linksys EA8500, or the Netgear Nighthawk series...AC1900, X4, or X6

Any recommendations or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: WiFi Router Recommendations?

@fouts09 wrote:
I have an ARRIS SurfBoard SBG6900-AC modem/router, but the WiFi router aspect of it does not work well, even after numerous calls to Xfinity and Arris. Since I can’t find a solution to make it work, I’m going to get a new WiFi router to connect to the modem and just disable the WiFi radios on the Arris. I don’t think I’m looking to get a new modem or combo unit.

I am wondering if anyone has recommendations of routers that would work best for my situation. We do not have cable, but rather we stream all of our tv, and we can have up to three tv’s streaming at a time. We also have four smartphones and two computers, as well as wireless printers and a google home. So a lot of devices overall with heavy emphasis on multi-device streaming. Does the ACxxxx number make a difference if my internet speed is only so fast? Would I see a benefit from getting a “AC2600” vs “AC1900” router?

I’m looking at the Linksys EA8500, or the Netgear Nighthawk series...AC1900, X4, or X6

Any recommendations or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Look for tri-band routers or Mesh.  I finally got wifi throughout my residence with three Orbi's.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Here is an excellent site for researching routers;

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

Tip. If you are going to hang a stand-alone router off of the SBG6900, you need to put it in to full bridge mode so that it acts only as a plain vanilla cable modem (not just turn off the WiFi radios), otherwise you will have an undesirable *double NAT* condition on your home network. You can Google for "double NAT" to learn about its potential pitfalls.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

The Netgear routers are good choices. Personally I prefer ASUS routers, and my current AC88U is fantastic.
Don't get taken in by those AC numbers - they don't reflect actual performance and are more often used for marketing.
If you have a large house and need blanket coverage, go with @RobertWy and pick a mesh router system: the Linksys Velop, Netgear Orbi and Eero come to mind.
If you need raw speed, a high end router like the ASUS RoG AC5300 or Netgear Nighthawk X10 will fit the bill quite nicely.
The above solutions are expensive, though, going for as much as $400.
If cost is an issue, the TP-Link Archer C7 is a great value for under $100.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy Thanks for the recommendation! I considered a mesh system before, but I should have mentioned that I just moved into a rather small 1300 sqft two-story condo. I get excellent WiFi reception anywhere in the house, it’s moreso an issue with the router, or possibly some sort of interference...but, I digress, this discussion post isn’t about my current WiFi troubles.
Frequent Visitor

@EG Thanks for pointing that out, I would have never thought about that. Now I know about double NAT!
Regular Contributor

@fouts09 wrote:
@RobertWy Thanks for the recommendation! I considered a mesh system before, but I should have mentioned that I just moved into a rather small 1300 sqft two-story condo. I get excellent WiFi reception anywhere in the house, it’s moreso an issue with the router, or possibly some sort of interference...but, I digress, this discussion post isn’t about my current WiFi troubles.

My place is about the same size and the X4S works well everywhere.  

If you go Netgear and configure it correctly and get an Intel 92xx series wifi card for your laptop you can push gig+ over wifi.  Keep in mind if you're renting the modem from Comcast you could save yourself some $ each month and just pick up your own modem like the MB8600 and make up the cost of it in about a year.