Community Forum

WiFi Light on Modem Does Not Blink Anymore

Regular Visitor

WiFi Light on Modem Does Not Blink Anymore

After resetting the Xfinity router this morning because we could not connect to our home network and had no internet service, I notice that the WiFi light is now on continuously.  It no longer blinks.  We are connected again and have internet, but it is strange to see the light on and not blinking like it used to.  Is this normal after rebooting the router?

Regular Contributor

Re: WiFi Light on Modem Does Not Blink Anymore

Let's see, I'm no expert but the Wifi light on a router that is on solid would be a good thing. a solid light on as opposed to blinking ...right?

Regular Contributor

If it goes on and goes off, in a pattern, then it would be a problem. If it's occasionally quickly blinking, then it is processing... Post more details of what you mean

Regular Visitor

Thank you for your reply.  We've had this wifi router for almost 2 years now, and in the past it would always blink steadily when it was on and operational.  When we re-booted it yesterday because we did not have internet and could not connect to our home network, it came back on and we have the internet connection through our home network again but it's strange because now the wifi light stays on steadily and does not blink anymore like it used to do.  Was just wondering why the difference and what that might mean.  

Problem Solver

You probably got a firmware update when you rebooted and part of the update is the light does not blink any more. There have been several observations about this on this forum.

Contributor

I have the same situation and I am wondering why like you. I did not even reboot. It happened on its own, Howevr, it is working fine. Can not understand if it is normal.

Diamond Problem Solver

They can remotely reboot the modem.
Valued Contributor

I wonder if you have a close neighbor with Xfinity wifi and you are now logged onto their router.

Regular Visitor

I called Comcast Technical Support yesterday and they told me that the light should blink steadily as that means data is being exchanged.  They thought it was very odd that it is lit up and not blinking at all, and that we still have an internet connection.  All indications show that we are logged into our own home network and not a neighbor's network.  They suggested that the wireless gateway router may be failing, or the lights behind the wifi signal that blink are burned out and we are seeing a shadow of the other lights??  I guess as long as it is working at the moment, we will leave it alone.  Thanks for all the replies.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re-visit message number 5.

New Poster

Ours use to blink constantly, until yesterday, after a service call from Xfinity, I noticed after he left, that  we now also have a solid lit Wifi light.... but it still seems to be working.

Regular Contributor

Happened to me this morning.  I walked into my office where the modem is and saw it re-booting.  (Very rare - we are usually rock solid here).  Anyway, after the re-boot, the wi-fi light was solid and not flashing like it used to.  All wireless connections work fine.  I re-booted it again but the light is still solid.  No problems.