Community Forum

Wi-Fi/Xbox One Issues - HELP!

Frequent Visitor

Wi-Fi/Xbox One Issues - HELP!

We have a Comcast Triple Play.  We use the Comcast supplied gateway/Wi-Fi.  We have a 3 cable boxes, a home PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One, printer, and 3 phones that all use the Wi-Fi (though never all at the same time).  We switched over the the X1 Platform, at the same time that we got the Xbox One (Christmas time).  Since then the boys have had continual problems with the Xbox One/Xbox Live.  It takes forever to get logged on, games continually lag, or freeze and they often getting booted off.  We do not have these same problems with any of the other items that use the Wi-Fi.  I've run several speed tests, and the "numbers" on the PC and the Xbox One are the same EXCEPT for the download speed.  On the PC it says the speed is anywhere between 18-20 Mbps.  The numbers on the Xbox One are consistently lower, and quite different.  I just did speed test over the last 45 minutes (nothing else in the house is using the Wi-Fi as I'm the only one home) and got the following numbers 1.59, 19.27, 12.40, 8.12, 7.89 and 13.23.  I am at a loss as to what to do.  I've done the usual stuff: checked wires, rebooted, trouble shot (both on Comcast and with Xbox support).  Please help!

New Poster

Re: Wi-Fi/Xbox One Issues - HELP!

How far away from the router is the Xbone?  Since it seems you've narrowed all other things down, my next logical step would be to bypass the wifi and plug a Cat5E or Cat6 wire from the the modem/gateway device directly into the Xbone.  Make sure you set it up for use with wired ethernet instad of wifi, then try your tests again.  If you're noticing more reliable connections and better speeds, you may have a wifi connectivity issue.

New Poster

i also just found this page, seems this may be what you're expieriencing?

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Xbox-One-Service-Advisory/td-p/1959013

New Poster

If the issue is IPv6 addresses, is ther a way to make the modem/gateway to not broadcast 5ghz WiFi? do you think this will make the Xbox One WiFi to work better as it will be completelly on 2.4 ghz?

I have the JR DPC3939 modem/gateway and also noticing a very low WiFi speed. My ethernet connections are at 50+ download, 6+ upload, but WiFi is terrible, like 2 download and 2 upload on my Xbox One.

Any tip you can give me on changing a setting or something in my modem/gateway?

Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

jafloresl wrote:

If the issue is IPv6 addresses, is ther a way to make the modem/gateway to not broadcast 5ghz WiFi? do you think this will make the Xbox One WiFi to work better as it will be completelly on 2.4 ghz?

I have the JR DPC3939 modem/gateway and also noticing a very low WiFi speed. My ethernet connections are at 50+ download, 6+ upload, but WiFi is terrible, like 2 download and 2 upload on my Xbox One.

Any tip you can give me on changing a setting or something in my modem/gateway?

Thanks.

There is no relationship between IPv6 and 5GHz wifi,so turning off the 5Ghz radio would not fix any potential IPv6 related issues.

If there is a known issue that Microsoft and Comcast are aware of, and have not solved yet then following the recomendation of hard wiring the XBox One to the router is the 'best' solution at the moment. I know it isn't always possible to do that, but there do not appear to be any other workarounds for now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Well, I did something that worked like a charm.

I disconnected the Xbox One from the 2.4ghz WiFi and connected it to the 5Ghz, now it gives me full speed!

This makes me think that probably something is ingterfering with the Xbox and the WiFi, maybe the X1 receiver? I do nto know but connecting the Xbox One using the 5Ghz WiFi works perfectly.

Thanks.