Community Forum

Why slow upload speeds??

Contributor

Why slow upload speeds??

Just changed my service, and now have a zippy 400Mb/s download speed.    but still "slowski" upload speed sof 11Mb/s.

Why does Comcast still give asymmetrical service?   When the internet was young, ISPs were worried people woudl run web sites on their come computers (rather than via the ISPs), so they started the asymmetrical service.

But today, with cloud accounts and cloud photos and video sharing and (god forbid) cloud backups - these slow as dirt upload speeds make customers feel like they are being left behind.

CC:  What's the scoop?

- John Mc

Expert

Re: Why slow upload speeds??

You could upgrade to the gigabit download speed tier to get their fastest upload speed of 35 Mbps(42 with their 20 % speed over-provisioning). 

The current upstream / return path bandwidth spectrum allocation on DOCSIS is physically limited. It's the nature of the beast. This why there isn't as much flexibility with offering faster upload speeds compared to the download.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Which rev of DOCSYS is CC using?  yes, some internet reading can get you into trouble.   hehe

"DOCSIS 3.1 can enable speeds as high as 10 Gbit/s downstream and 2 Gbit/s upstream, while Full Duplex is designed to enable symmetrical speeds as high as 10 Gbit/s."

https://www.lightreading.com/cable/docsis/here-comes-docsis-40/d/d-id/743285  

Expert

DOCSIS 3.1 but with only a single OFDM downstream channel with a bandwidth that can only currently support 1 gig down. Not enough spectrum yet.

See the words "can enable" and "full duplex". That's a ways off...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!