Community Forum

Why replace Cisco DPC3941T with Arris TG1682G?

Frequent Visitor

Why replace Cisco DPC3941T with Arris TG1682G?

Why replace my Cisco DPC3941T? I love it, but received a replacement Arris Gateway today. The Cisco Gateway works great, reaches every corner of my house.

Must I really change? What's the worst that will happen if I don't change?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Why replace Cisco DPC3941T with Arris TG1682G?

Nope. They are both "wireless gateway 3" models;

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-compare/

New Poster

I had the same question since they are both considered Wireless Gateway 3. I gave Comcast a call and they said the Manufacturer (Cisco) found a defect and was performing a recall on them and they will be shutting them down by the end of Oct 2016. 

Diamond Problem Solver

O/k good info if it is so. Can you please possibly provide proof / a cite ? It would be helpful, thank you.

New Poster

I don't have any proof just what they told me yesterday morning on the phone. She mentioned the Cisco router had a defect that would cause that model to drop the wireless connections. Not sure if what they say is true but I’ve been wanting to switch to my own modem and router but didn’t want to go through all of the work to set it all up but if I have to do it now anyway I might as well switch to my own now.

Diamond Problem Solver

O/k thanks for your reply. There's a thing that we've been saying around here for years: "gateway devices bite !!!"  ;-) 

Standard speil;

Just look around the forums and you'll see that there are boatloads of issues with the current crop of CC supplied gateways !!

There is always an inherent disadvantage with these. Combo gateway devices are always a compromise in both quality and performance compared to separate units. Also, only the ISP can update the firmware so you are always a prisoner of that / them. And the firmware is typically crippled by the ISP's customizing of it and they typically eliminate valuable features.

One of the biggest issues with them is that it is far more difficult to diagnose connectivity issues when it comes to troubleshooting. You can't narrow things down by using the process of elimination by removing just the router from the path. And if either segment fails / malfunctions, you have a total failure. I think that CC made a big mistake when they changed their policy and decided to start supplying them instead of dedicated devices. The suits seem to think that this will save them money for support costs but I think that they are getting far more support calls/complaints than ever... We certainly are seeing far more complaints in forums now !

Another issue is that Comcast has been creating a publicly accessible 'xfinitiwifi' link on their gateways. It supposedly uses separate bandwidth from your own. You can disable it from a link on the Comcast site, but people have been posting that it keeps turning itself back on every day.

Get separate units and keep the control of your home network in your hands instead of theirs, you'll be much happier !

Diamond Problem Solver

chas83 wrote:

I don't have any proof just what they told me yesterday morning on the phone. She mentioned the Cisco router had a defect that would cause that model to drop the wireless connections. Not sure if what they say is true but I’ve been wanting to switch to my own modem and router but didn’t want to go through all of the work to set it all up but if I have to do it now anyway I might as well switch to my own now.

Just some more info about this from a new thread at the DSLR foums;

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30973445-Is-there-a-Recall-on-Cisco-3941T

Problem Solver

Cisco Gateway Division was bought out lock stock and barrel by technicolor. they are producing a new model of this unit.

Our all-in-one eMTA smart gateways feature all the latest standards and innovations in Wi-Fi, wideband DOCIS and voice functionality. These powerful platforms not only guarantee super-fast data transfer and real-time multi-media services over DOCSIS 3.0, but also deliver advanced value-added apps to subscribers.

The DPC3941Tv2 is a DOCSIS 3.0-embedded Multimedia Terminal Adapter (eMTA) smart gateway with best-in-class performance and next-generation dual band concurrent wireless support.

A dedicated applications processor and software execution environment make it powerful, reliable and suitable for demanding services and applications.

This new generation smart, high-speed data service solution supports up to 24 x 8 channel bonding for up to 960 Mbps download speeds. Moreover, it provides full MoCA 2.0 connectivity to devices in the home including set-top boxes.

»www.technicolor.com/en/s ··· c3941tv2