Community Forum

Why is xfinity speedtest only measure speeds within xfinity network?

New Poster

Why is xfinity speedtest only measure speeds within xfinity network?

My internet subscription is 1 Gbps download. What I did not realize is that this is measured by xfinity itself with no outside comparisons or indenpdent audits on its own speedtests or contracts. 

So when I ran Xfinity's own speedtest I got 950Mbps consistently but when I ran, any one of these below speedtests. I got 160-250Mbps consistently:

While I understand there is some differences in speeds from a interior gateway protocol (IGP) and Exterior Gateway Protocol (EGP), I can't believe it is this much. When I talked to a customer service support they said it doesn't matter, there definition is based on whatever their speedtest says. Which essentially means they can set it to whatever they want. 

Is there some kind of outside audit of this ISP's contracts terms of service and what defines the speeds the contract is based on? And if so is there any kind of technical and/or legal documentation that clearly describes this process?

related articles: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Can-we-really-trust-Xfinity-s-speed-test/td-p/301168...