Community Forum

Why is my Motorola SBG6580 no longer working?

New Poster

Why is my Motorola SBG6580 no longer working?

I don't want to call customer service anymore because they don't seem to understand what is going on. I've had a technician come out and he said everything is fine, it's the modem.

So from what I understand, Comcast did an update to my modem and to their signal and now they're incompatible? I got this modem/router less than a year ago and it is DOCSIS 3.0, so why does it not work?

Here is what happened: Around last week my modem would random shut off about once every few hours, reboot, and be just fine. It did this every day until last weekend where I'll say it started every 15 minutes do reboot. After I did a hard reset, it wouldn't connect to the internet whatsoever. It receives and sends signal just fine, but there is no connection, no internet. I don't think the modem should have to be replaced with how new it is, and that it should be compatible. 

If it's not, who should I turn to? Is another update coming? I don't feel like I should have to "buy another". I would be seeking compensation from Comcast, or a rented modem for awhile with a fee. Is there a warranty on it that may help me out? Should I turn to Motorola?

Regular Contributor

Re: Why is my Motorola SBG6580 no longer working?

As far as I can determine, the issue with this modem are widely reported but not resolved.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/43219-42-motorola-sbg6580-separate-modem-router

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Intermittent-drops-Motorola-sbg6580/td-...

http://www.idevelopsoftware.com/2011/12/comcast-support-problems-surfboard-sbg6580-intermittent-conn...

One user found that the problem was related to having Flood Control enabled in the Firewall component, and the problem disappeared when Flood Control was disabled.  It has also been reported that some routine operation on the modem by Comcast frequently re-enables it.

New Poster

log in to the modem and post some screenshots of the diagnostics pages.  google is your friend

Frequent Visitor

I had same issue with SBG6580...

Here is what I found from other Forum..

"This device doesn't support IPv6 CMM and the device will get stuck in the ranging state on the CMTS.

The factory reset will change the device MDD mode to "honor" and if the CMTS is in IPv6 only it will get stuck.  "

I told that to Comcast customer service several times but nobody understood what IPv6 is...

Now my SBG6580 is working fine..

Google search "SBG6580 Access Denied" then you will find who can fix it for you.

Authorized Vendor

You can PM me your CM MAC and I can fix this issue for you..  Just make sure the device is online..

Also in the subject line put "SBG6580 Issue", and in the body I just need the CM MAC..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
New Poster

issues from modem motorola sbg6580

actually my modem has been denied by comcast networking, none of the two tech who came before didnt do anything about it and customer service online either.. 

Authorized Vendor

dimmu wrote:

actually my modem has been denied by comcast networking, none of the two tech who came before didnt do anything about it and customer service online either.. 

PM me your CM-MAC and I will take a quick look..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Regular Visitor

I just had the same problem.

Try to PM (private message) ComcastTuska and tell him what's going on. The 6580 is not compatible with something called IPv6 it needs to be set back to IPv4, and he can do it.

The only problem you may have is you have to have it active on you account and provisioned.

New Poster

You helped me out with this issue and I want to thank you.  Whatever you did I appreciate it.  My next step was to call Radio Shack and see if they would take back the SBG6580.  You saved me that bit of misery.

Of course, I was on the line with Comcast for an hour attempting to transfer the cable/internet from their TM722 to my Motorola, and have them re-set my Hauppauge DCR-2650 dual tuner cablecard reciever.  BUT, just knowing that there was an angel (you) who was helping me made the wait easier.

Thnks.

Dave

New Poster

Hi ComcastTuska,

Thank you for personally addressing issues for customers like us who are unable to get the issue fixed despite spending hours with customer support.

I have hit the same issue after I hard reset my modem today morning.

The upstream and downstream lights are solid green but the internet globe light keeps blinking green and I dont have internet conectivity.

In the connection status I see,
Connectivity State In Progress Access Denied

The Event Logs say,
Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Time Not Established Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;
Time Not Established Notice (6) WiFi Interface [wl0] set to Channel 1 (Side-Band Channel:N/A) - Reason:INIT
Time Not Established Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;

I have PMed you my MAC

Hope you can look into this and fix this issue for me.

Thanks,
Karthik

New Poster

I PM'ed my CM MAC, can you please take a look to see if everything looks okay?  Thanks!

New Poster

Same problem here. I am having no success on my tiny phone screen figuring out how to PM. I am in the middle of a work project and I NEED my internet back! Comcast tech support says if its not a loose connection then I just need to trash this modem and rent one of theirs. Yeah... right. Is there an e mail addy I can send my mad address to? Thanks for any help!
Regular Visitor

Login to your comcast account and go to the help forum. You will see an envelope on the right hand side, click it then select tab compose message.

Hope that helps. It's not your modem as I went through exactly what your going through. Once fixed, never hit the reset button.
New Poster

I have the same problem as Karthik, is there a fox out there?
New Poster

You need to tell them you need the most recent modem.  I am a new customer and they installed a dated modem and would not get blast speeds all the time.  After 4th person came to my house it was the box they supplied.  It is unfortunate you have to be so demanding with Comcast to get the correct equipment you are paying for.  

Diamond Problem Solver

FWIW, the 6580 is the latest tech DOCSIS 3 capable modem. There are other firmware issues. Especially the wireless.

New Poster

is it possible to globally apply this fix across the comcast system? same issue here....

Diamond Problem Solver

FWIW, they pushed a "global fix" firmware update from the manufacturer and shortly thereafter they rolled it back. Apparently it had more / different bugs than it cured..

New Poster

Any idea when I can use my new modem??

Regular Visitor

Anyone watching this thread? I am having a similar issue after a hard reset and support is no help
Regular Visitor

I reset the factory defaults on my Motorola SBG6580 and I'm having similar issues. Can someone help me?
Contributor

Same problem in dec 2013 with my SBG6580 ..had to go buy SBG6782 in Dec 2013 ..SBG 6782 appeared to fail in March 2013 so got a new exchange  ...later I got a message that there may have been a power outage causeing the problem...new SBG6782 worked .. but I had techs check out my line ..they found very low sig and fix an area cable...but still SBG 6580 not working ...but I would like to get my SBG6580 working again as backup

Frequent Visitor

Not sure if you guys in this thread have also seen this thread.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Check-your-SBG6580-It-might-be-Arris-d-new-...

Besides drops there are also issues regarding speed drops.

Contributor

Smiley WinkI asked Arris to update my SBG6580 to their software..they did…It appears to work ok now …so it can become my back up modem ..thank Arris 

Diamond Problem Solver

Steve1951X wrote:

Smiley WinkI asked Arris to update my SBG6580 to their software..they did…It appears to work ok now …so it can become my back up modem ..thank Arris 

For curiosity, how did they do that exactly ? Also, even if it has a different version of firmware, it will revert to using whatever CC is currently pushing when it is connected up to their system.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Check-your-SBG6580-It-might-be-Arris-d-new-...

Contributor

my modem was 2.5 years old and had motorola software..6.5.0.0 ..but would not log on to the internet (blinking green led)..a couple hours or less after i emailed arris back i noticed that the modem was connecting to the internet (green led on)  ..so i tested it by connecting it to a computer and was able to do hulu video etc...but because of my settings i could not log on to the modem....I did a factory default ...holding reset button for 5 - 10 seconds factory reset occurred i could log on now to the arris software..i could change settings and passwords ...all appears to worked ok (blue rec and send leds ok)    I assume arris installed the arris soltware 8.6.0.0 as I requested ..i did not download software….. firmware 8.6.0.0

Diamond Problem Solver

If it comes through the coax cable then Arris is not doing it directly. The ISP is doing it. Don't know if you got Arris to light a match under Comcast but they are the ones that update the firmware directly.

New Poster

SBG6580 Access Denied

I am trying to use Home sharing on windows 8 and it says i need to use IPV6. I don't see this option on the Motorola Surfboard Extreme SBG6580. What settings do I need to send you? Can you email me screenshoot?

Thnaks, Shaun

Regular Contributor

Re: SBG6580 Access Denied

IPv6 is not working on the SBG6580. Arris is trying to fix the firmware.
New Poster

I currently have the same issue - i spent hours on the phone with comcast basically with them telling me that my modem is bad and that i need a new one (or of course should rent one of theirs) . We bought this specific modem SBG6580  (less than a year ago) because it was one of the best rated. We had no issues with it until more recently where the Internet connection would come in and out to basically not having any connection at this point. Comcast said they believed my modem might be on the "Kill List" which meant it no longer would be getting updated by the manufacturer to support comcast. I refuse to believe my almost brand new modem is no longer going to work. I need some help! I am clueless about modems/computers etc and just need my internet to work! I have thought about changing providers and cancel cable all together to just stream through our xbox 360. Not sure if that would be a better solution?

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

New Poster

I have this issue also. Modem purchased I think about a year ago. Worked fine until about 2 months ago. Started recycling intermittently. Also, I am having trouble with the passwords on the modem. Reset it last night. Not sure yet if I can get into the modem to look at settings. 

Can Comcast help over the weekend via this message board?? I have already spent countless hours trying to fix, and am very frustrated... 

Frequent Visitor

my motorola surfboard sbg6580 has power light on

blue light benieth on

next light should be blue but is yellow

www globe is yellow

this thing lost total signal for about 24 hours a few days ago and has not been right since. how can i fix it?

Contributor

SBG6580-8.6.2.0-GA-00-131-NOSH New firmware from Arris appears to work on mine 2015 04 24 after pressing and holding factory reset button for 5 to 10 seconds then new firmware was installed.Smiley Happy

Diamond Problem Solver

Arris supplies it to Comcast. Comcast pushes it to the device.

Contributor

Looks like we are back to SBG6580-6.5.2.0-GA-06-077-NOSH Motorola firmware ..I guess there was a problem with some thing..so so

New Poster

@Steve1951X My SBG6580 is 2 1/2 years old, and has identical firmaware as yours: SBG6580-6.5.2.0-GA-06-077-NOSH Motorola firmware.

It has been consistently giving me >20Mbps download and >5Mbps upload for both wired and wireless from day one.  Just roughly 12 hours ago, first my internet connection dropped.  I then went through the usual unplug power cord, waited for 30 seconds, plugged back in.  Internet connection is back, BUT... download went from >20Mbps to 0.5Mbps.  Upload speed remains unchanged at >5Mbps.  The speeds are consistent for both wired and wireless devices.

What I noticed (not 100% sure though) is that prior to this slowdown SBG6580 may have always have blue Receive LED.  Now it's solid green.  Another point is I have no idea what the firmware version was prior to this incident, nenver have to care for it.

Any suggestion to get me back the speed I used to have?

Btw, I was on the phone with 4 CC CSR today for no less than 4 hours without any progress, as well as maybe another >6 hours research online :-(

New Poster

I fiddled with the settings quite a bit, with bits and pieces from various forums.
Many unplugs, reboots later, at around 3am this morning, the speeds came back normal (downstream >20Mbps, upstream >5Mbps).

Was it by chance? Was it simply was triggered and solved entirely by whatever CC may have been doing yesterday in my neighborhood? I can’t tell. I’m just so happy that the speeds are back for my work.

The Receive and Send lights are now both solid blue: high connection bonded, in DOCSIS 3.0 mode, from what I’ve read.

Btw, I’m doing two things to prepare myself against future recurrences:

1. Perform a backup of my SBG6580 settings
  2. Take a bitmap of all setting pages (http://192.168.100.1/)