Community Forum

Why is Comcast internet such a joke here in Santa Cruz?

Regular Contributor

Why is Comcast internet such a joke here in Santa Cruz?

I'm on the "Blast Pro" tier here in Santa Cruz, and find the speeds that I get during evening "prime time" are just a joke. In the morning and early afternoon, I see what I expect to see, about 300Mbps/12Mbps (provisioned at 250/10 + 20%). In the evening, during prime time when I actually want to use my internet to watch TV, the download speed always drops below 200Mbps, often below 100Mbps. I'm not sure how Comcast can justify selling a speed tier that the infrastructure in this area can't support, but somehow they can do that and act like it's normal. It isn't normal to see speeds below 100Mbps (around 70-80 tonight, often in that area). That's just ludicrous. If I weren't paying for my internet, it would be funny, but I have a hard time laughing at how unethical Comcast is in this area.

I'd be happy to see it over 200Mbps any time during prime time, but that never happens. I know that there's nothing that I can do about it, Comcast has been doing this since they took over the Santa Cruz franchise. Now that AT&T is in our area with fiber, I'm not sure how that will affect Comcast, hoping that it will get them to actually invest in their infrastructure. It's the first serious competition that Comcast has had here, and they are NOT rising to the competition as far as I can see. They're doing what they've been doing all along, not investing in infrastructure. Not providing what they're selling.

I'll be switching away from Comcast as soon as I get a chance. I'm tired of paying through the nose for internet speeds that don't even approach the spirit of the "up to" terminology that I sign up for. If I could get a solid 100Mbps download and 10 or 20Mbps upload, that would be all I need. I don't get that on the 250Mbps/10Mbps tier that I pay for. 

Guess I'm done complaining. Don't feel any better, just more depressed about how we're being taken advantage of. Now that we do have some recourse (finally), I'll be going there. Hoping to see Cruzio fiber as well at some point...that's been delayed for a long time now, but they're continuing their fiber build out from what I understand.

Regular Contributor

Re: Why is Comcast internet such a joke here in Santa Cruz?

By the way, the connections and voltages are fine here. The modem is a relatively new Netgear CM500V. The fact that I see 300/12 for several hours of the day convinces me that things are working as they should, and the problems that I've been seeing (for several years now, several different modems and routers) are Comcast infrastructure inadequacies. I remember a point several years ago when my internet speed would go down to 1-2Mbps during evening prime time when I was supposed to be getting 16Mbps, then 25Mbps on the performance and the blast tiers back then. That lasted for more than 6 months, until Comcast apparently did put some money into infrastructure here on the west side of Santa Cruz. 

I spent a lot of time on the phone with Comcast back in those days, and techs were sent out that never found anything wrong. They agreed that my problems were part of Comcast's infrastructure problems on the west side of Santa Cruz. For me, that was my introduction into how Comcast treats it's customers in an area like Santa Cruz. That hasn't changed over the years...not really engendering loyalty, more leveraging a virtual monopoly.

Expert

Hi @RogerSC

It's not normal behavior. If you would like some help from the community...

Start here: troubleshooting guide. Please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

Are you seeing the speed issues hardwired or over WiFi?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

You're seeing a drop in speeds in the evening, when everyone is home streaming Netflix, playing on their consoles,  watching YouTube and uploading to Twitch? 

Isn't that to be expected? 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@darkangelic wrote:

You're seeing a drop in speeds in the evening, when everyone is home streaming Netflix, playing on their consoles,  watching YouTube and uploading to Twitch? 

Isn't that to be expected? 

Yes. So you’re saying that any speed is okay on a 250/10 speed tier as long as it’s less than 250Mbps? Sorry, I expect more for my money than that. Let’s be generous and say that 60% of 250Mbs is acceptable. So I shouldn’t be seeing less than 150Mbps. That would make me very happy. If you read my post you would see that’s hardly ever the case.

I should add that for the last week I’ve been seeing around 290Mbps download speed at 9PM, which has me wondering. Unless this is a statistical aberration, Comcast must have rolled out some new infrastructure here. This is wonderful if true, but years overdue. The only theory I have that could account for this step function in internet speed is that Comcast has decided that they actually want to compete with the new guys in town, AT&T fiber. Anyways, if this speed change continues, that would be lovely. Comcast has a lot to make up for in this area, but this is a start. As I said, I’d be happy to see regular speeds over 150Mbps, higher is even better.

Time will tell on this one. Now all Comcast needs to do to compete with AT&T now is to lower their prices by about 25% *smile*.