Community Forum

Why does xfinity throttle it's users

Highlighted
New Poster

Why does xfinity throttle it's users

I was just on a support call due to bad speed over the last few weeks (20mbps on average, some times as low as or even lower then 2mbps).  The technitian did a few items and got my speed better, but still short of what I am paying for (Blast Pro 250mbps down).  Then he pushed for me to sign up for Xfinity Streaming TV service, after I told him I have to talk to my wife several times and him being over pushy I ended the conversation.  A few min latter my internet speed was back down to where I began.  several weeks ago I was getting exactly what I was paying for 250mbps +.  Tell me there is no throttling?

New Poster

Re: Why does xfinity throttle it's users

Same Issue. I recently got rid of my TV subscription. I have high speed but after I upload some of my bigger files, my speed drastically reduces each month.

Expert

You are not being throttled. How do your signal stats look like? You should be able to see them at either http://192.168.100.1 or http://10.0.0.1

Also since you already had a technician visit and the problem persists, I’m going to escalate your issue to a Comcast Employee.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I do not quite know what you mean by what does my signle status look like.  Looking at my downstream I am showing 15 out of 16 channels locked with a modulation of QAM256, the 16th channel is showing locked but an unknown modulation.

But that still does not tell us why my speed was doing good while I was listening to his sales pitch but when I told him he crossed the line and I dissconected from him my speed all of a suden droped back down to what it was.  

Expert

@ddgiant wrote:

I do not quite know what you mean by what does my signle status look like.  Looking at my downstream I am showing 15 out of 16 channels locked with a modulation of QAM256, the 16th channel is showing locked but an unknown modulation.

Post a screenshot of  *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hello ddgiant, you can post your test results here or feel free to send me a private message with your full name and I will be able to look into this further on my end. To send a PM click on my name (ComcastAmir) and then click "Send a message".

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Please see attached.  I did a restart on my modem tonight due to I am getting less then 10mbps right now, and that is when I am lucky

Expert

Something is definitely wrong with the connection - you have several unbonded channels , some low SNR numbers, and abnormally high uncorrectables on one channel on the downstream side, and the upstream power levels are much higher than they should be - I suspect a wiring issue somewhere. 

Can you post a shot of the Event Log from your modem as well?

Expert

@ddgiant wrote:

Please see attached.  I did a restart on my modem tonight due to I am getting less then 10mbps right now, and that is when I am lucky

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Diamond Problem Solver

In tools that we have access to it looks like there may be what’s called a high pass filter on your drop. Placed there by the maintenance team to keep ingress/interference from your house backfeeding out to plant. That ingress, probably bad or loose cable, is what probably is causing those SNR issues on the lower frequencies. You’ll need a tech out to remove the filter and verify there’s no ingress coming out of your house.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Because I have an issue
Diamond Problem Solver

Year old thread closed, feel free to post a detailed question in a new thread

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!