Community Forum

Why do I listen to XFinity customer service?!

Regular Visitor

Why do I listen to XFinity customer service?!

I should know better, I know. I called in last week, because I recently dropped cable tv and went with internet (due to the constant cheating and illegal padding of the bill that everyone is familiar with). I work from home, and my wife home schools the children, so I have found in the last couple of months that we are exceeding the 1TB cap - this last month I exceeded it by 707GB, which made for a hefty bill. I had been told that for $50 more I could get unlimited, so I called in and asked for this to be set up. The service rep said "You know...for $20 more per month you could upgrade to XFinity Advantage and get unlimited plus 100Mb a month, you just have to drive to a store and swap out your modem with a new XB6-T model". I should have said right then and there, "No thanks". But stupid me thought I had finally found someone knowledgeable so I agreed, drive down to the store, got the new modem and signed up for the new package.

I get the new modem home, activate it, and am suddenly getting half the speed I was getting under Blast, as well as constant reboots. I would reboot, it would work for 5 minutes, then die. Now, knowing I don't have a typical setup, I disconnected my servers in the closet, and even though it is 1GB plugged directly into the modem rather than running through my switch. Still nothing. But plugging the old modem back in gave me the speeds I should see, proving the whole "you need new hardware" is BS. Nevertheless I called and arranged for a technician to come out (second mistake, thinking I would get a tech who would know how to solve anything beyond the most mundane of issues).

The technician arrives, reboots the modem and tries to log into the main page. The typical "This page is not secure, click to Continue or Go Back" page comes up, and I watched as this tech struggled for a solid 5 minutes thinking the modem was offline. I finally showed him how to log into his own company's gear. The technician then proceeded to spend 4 hours, try three other modems, make 5 phone calls, and still left me with "I have no idea".

The next day I get an automated call "Your line issues have been resolved", no explanation no nothing. Of course they haven't been resolved; I still get constant reboots of the (4th) new modem, and loss of connectivity in the middle of trying to work. I called yet again and the woman scheduled yet another technician to come out in 2 days - who cares that this is two days I cannot work and my children cannot attend school. 

When I pointed this out, the customer service rep stated "You can just use your XFinity hotspot which is free".  I of course asked "if my modem continues to reboot, what good does this hotspot do me?" The response I got? "The hotspot has nothing to do with your modem or service, it is in the wires that run to your house". I miss the AOL dial up days...

Expert

Re: Why do I listen to XFinity customer service?!

Since you have had a technician visit with poor results, I am going to escalate your issue to a Comcast Employee.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: Why do I listen to XFinity customer service?!

JLogan3o13, thank you for taking the time to reach out here on the forums. 

I'm sorry to hear about the internet issues you're experiencing, and I understand the importance of having a reliable connection. I would love to have the opportunity to take a look at this further with you and get the service up and running as soon as possible. To get started, please send me a PM with your first and last name. Looking forward to it. 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!