Community Forum

Why do I have to rent a modem to get Gigabit speeds??

Frequent Visitor

Why do I have to rent a modem to get Gigabit speeds??

I've been working at this for several days, I've been back and forth between Chat services, and Customer Service over the phone, I get several different explanations for this problem and everyone seems to be on a completely different page than the last person spoken to, so here goes.

I recently moved from a 2-bedroom apartment to a 3-bedroom at another location that never had Comcast service, it required a first-time installation, the tech that did the install set everything up on a rental modem, I explained to this tech I had a modem and wanted for it to be activated on my account as I did not want to lease their equipment and the item I purchased was like their own modems for voice and data anyway.

The tech told me I could not swap the rental for my own device until 72 hours had passed, because he stated it impacted their service numbers.

I work for a communications company so I know about NPS scorings and as a courtesy waited until Saturday to get my own equipment activated and return the rental items.

Everything seemed to go fine until I noticed that my speeds for my internet hung out around 280MBPS, no where near 1GB speed... I thought it might have just been a fluke, went through and did some troubleshooting, contacted a chat rep (Suraj Singh) and told him the problem.

At first he blamed it on my modem, saying it wasn't supporting 1GBPS. 

This is the Modem I own: https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/C7100V.aspx

It is also the voice/internet modem/router that Comcast provides STANDARD in my town as a RENTAL for voice and data services.

So he went through and then claimed, my device was not properly activated on my account, gave me numbers to call and call them I did, only to receive a representative ("Nikki") whom said everything looked fine, went through with some troubleshooting, said that everything was active, then asked to have a few moments while she reviewed the account.

So I waited... and she came back claiming they were having system issues and if she could call me back, I tried to say ok but she expressed she'd have to send a technician out to my place (again) because of some issues she did not specify, when I asked about having to pay for another tech to show up, she said no but that I would not be getting 1gb speeds...

When I inquired why, she expressed that it's because I OWN my modem.

That I'm not allowed to have/use GB speeds unless I RENT my modem.

That makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE.

And if it's true, then I will be filing a complaint with the BBB because there is nowhere I have seen in my contract with my services that I can be charged for 1GB speeds but NOT get it unless I RENT MY MODEM.

Can someone please advise about this Net Neutrality-type issue?

Expert

Re: Why do I have to rent a modem to get Gigabit speeds??

O/k if you are trying to get Gigabit speed with a C7100 modem, you cant. It is only DOCSIS 3.0 You need a DOCSIS 3.1 device to be able to get Gig speed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

For reference: see https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/. Note that Comcast rates the C7100V for a max download speed of 648Mbps (see https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/netgear-c7100v-605).

Expert

This isn't a Net Neutrality issue but a more mundane technical one. As has been pointed out, your gateway isn't compatible with the Gigabit plan. 

You can downgrade to the Extreme Pro 400 speed tier and keep your gateway, or stay on the Gigabit and upgrade it to the leased XB6 or purchase a supported modem. There are only three that support the Gigabit speed tier: the ARRIS SB8200 (which I personally own), the Netgear CM1000, and the Motorola MB8600. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

The C7100 has been recently replaced with an Arris SVG2482AC modem which boasts 1750 MBPS wifi and 1GB connection speed, the tech that was sent out here claims he sees no problems in the area but then also claimed that the modem, a brand new SVG2482AC doesn't support Gigabit internet, to which he proved HIMSELF wrong after doing the research. 

He also cut my coaxial cable instead of informing me it was too long so I could return it and get a 10 foot cable instead. 

He tried to push the "If you rent our modem you'll get gigabit speed" spiel, and I have NO where in my contract that says I'll be denied what I pay for for owning my own modem.

Edit: I had originally purchases a Netgear C7800 for my home network, however the person I spoke to over the phone stated it was incompatible because it did not support voice service.

Gold Problem Solver

@DNDigital wrote: ... Arris SVG2482AC ... 1GB connection speed ...

Comcast rates the DOCSIS 3.0 SVG2482AC for a max download speed of 642Mbps (see https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-svg2482ac-602). You can't go by the speeds the manufacturer claims -- you'll ever see them in the real world.

You need to pick a DOCSIS 3.1 device that Comcast approves for gigabit service.

When you had the C7800 you could have added a DOCSIS 3.0 eMTA provisioned for voice only to handle your telephone service. See https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Approved-Xfinity-Modems-and-Gateways/m-p/3109887#M28....

Frequent Visitor

Then why was I told I couldn't use it? Why was I told that it was incompatible with my plan and services because it didn't have the voice support?

Also, when I called into Comcast customer service to have my modem provisioned for the Gigabit speeds, I was told by the representative I was talking to, directly to my face, that I would not be getting Gigabit speed, it wasn't because it was incompatible, it wasn't because it was not supported, it's because it's /my own modem/.

The representative told me that I /have/ to rent my modem from Comcast in order to be able to use the service. Had I known that I could have used my c7800 with an eMTA I would have /kept it/.

Edit: Also, I don't even need the danged phone service because I use it as a fax line. We don't use home-phone anywhere in the house, so expressing that it is a requirement was BS. I will likely be exchanging the Arris modem back out for the c7800 and use my old c7100 for the eMTA.

Gold Problem Solver

@DNDigital wrote: Then why was I told I couldn't use it? ...

You couldn't use the C7800 by itself because, as stated, it isn't an eMTA and doesn't have telephone ports. I don't know why they didn't say you could add an eMTA as described in https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Replace-gateway-with-Netgear-CM700-modem-and-Arris-T... (Arris SB8200 + TM722). I can tell you that it can be and has been done. I can't tell you how much grief they'll give you when you try to set it up this way.

... I don't even need the danged phone service because I use it as a fax line. ...

It doesn't matter to Comcast whether you use their Voice service for phone calls or fax calls. Both types of calls use the same equipment and follow the same pathways through their systems.

Good luck! Please keep us posted . . .

Frequent Visitor

I managed to get the Nighthawk X4S set up for internet and have my AC1900 activated specifically for voice service only. The first day we got it set up I had 900MBPS.... now, I have 200MBPS. No matter the amount of times I've restarted it and had it provisioned, it does not keep Gigabit speed, and there are several hiccups in which I won't have any service at all.

I bought this because I will be working from home soon and need to have stable internet as part of my job, I also share the internet with 2 other people, and all three of us are gamers and will have either streaming services or games going at any given time.

I'm more than frustrated, they sent a technician out here on the 22 who insisted we rent one of their modems to get Gigabit speed, claimed the modem I had (now the Nighthawk X4S) no support for Gigabit speeds...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-nighthawk-x4s-dual-band-ac3200-router-with-docsis-3-1-cable-mod...

Even hardlined getting 300MBPS on this modem should not be happening.

And I was told I would have to contact the manufacturer for settings, but was not informed as to what the heck they're talking about in terms of settings. If they were talking about the channel settings, password etc, I don't need help with that. But they have me wondering if I need to go to the manufacturer for another firmware update? I'm so confused and frustrated at paying for a service I'm not actually getting, and keep getting pushed to /rent/ my modem if I actually want it.

Expert

There's a setting in the Netgear Nighthawk routers, (I can't remember specifically, but I believe it's QoS) that will throttle your speeds if you exceed a certain bandwidth threshold. Since you have gigabit service now, you shouldn't have to enable it, and I advise you to turn it off. 

Frequent Visitor

How do I turn that off on this modem/router? Looking at instructions and going into Advanced Setup there isn't anything registered as QoS.

Frequent Visitor

Where I live, (Minnesota), the Nighthawk X45 C7800 is listed as a supported Gigabit modem by Comcast and was 1 of 3 I am looking at purchasing.  I'm curious if you ever got your issues straightened out as this runaround you're receiving is very similar to my own.  In three days I've been on call support 3 times, chat support, and am currently waiting for another call back.  I couldn't even get someone to actually check my modem's provisioning.

Frequent Visitor

It's honestly touch and go. They've been doing 'maintenance' in my area for a couple of weeks now and there are times I'll get 960MBPS and then most of the time I get 400MBPS.

And ever since my speed has been bouncing back and forth between 400-960MBPS, suddenly I'm reaching towards my 1TB allowance every single month.

We haven't changed any of our habits, we haven't changed what we do, if anything we've been using the internet less than before because the speed was up and down for so long yet we've increased in consumption?

It's starting to seem like Gigabit speed isn't worth the amount of money you pay to have it. Because we run fine on 500MBPS, but because I now work from home I wanted to make sure we had the extra bandwidth in case my job required it.

I have yet to actually see a return on my investment.

To give a bit of perspective? From January until September when we moved to our new place and upgraded our speed. Our average was 465-565GBs per month... which is pretty good given that I live with two other people, both of whom are gamers and stream movies etc constantly.

Now however my GBs have been 710 and 720 in the last two months. And I can't see what the majority of the data is going to.

Highlighted
Expert
Moved: